Flavor at bottling question

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Grinder12000

Reaction score
I know all about green beer and so forth,. My question is not about "off' flavors but intensity.

I bottled an Amber tonight and the tasting at bottling was lighter then expected. HOWEVER - I could not stop drinking the green beer.

This got me thinking, does carbing add flavor to beer? Does it make it more intense or more flavorful?

I have had green beer that was "blah" at bottling but after carbing it all came together but I can't put my finger on if the carbing actually ADDS flavor.

Carbonation definitely adds bite, but I don't think it's that simple.

There are a couple Jamil shows where he talks about his 60/- being really watery and thin, even with appropriate level of CO2, at first. Then he forgot about it for a year. After that it was delicious. The particulates had dropped out and the bubbles were finer, smoother.

I'm drinking a green beer tonight, but last night I opened one of the last three bottles of my first batch, a hefeweizen. It was amazing! SO much smoother, richer, and more balanced -- and that's definitely not just because of CO2.

I think Revvy is on to something when he tells us that the yeast know what they're doing and we should back the eff off. :cool:

Back