30 gal conical

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Wort*hog

Reaction score
Hopefully The picture gets up loaded! this is my 30 gallon polypropylene mix/fill tank. I removed the manway that came attached. Smoothed the top surface. Drilled a 3/4 inch hole for the air lock. Placed a cutting board with a layer of nonskid shelf liner over a layer of plastic wrap. Two 35# dumb bells to seal it up. The 1 1/4" ball valve and a 2" "T" to hold the trub. All seems to be working well so far.

try this================

US Plastics. Came to $209 delivered to LHBS. Maybe $20 for the fittings. About $50 to raise the stand but you could save a little doing it differently.

The following is my post from 4/24 describing my first 25 gallon batch;

Did my first 25 gallon brew yesterday. Basically it was an all grain 5 gallon until the boil. A single infusion mash with a batch sparge. Used 12# 6 row pale malt. a total of 10 gallons of water used in the mash and sparge. Added 6 more gallons to the 40 gallon boil pot. Then 33# of light malt extract. 2 1/2 of centennial @ 45minutes and !/2 oz at flame out. Chilled it down to 80 degrees. Pumped into A 30 gal U S Plastics full drain conical. Added 55 degree water to the 26 gal level. Wort was @ 70 degrees. Pitched the yeast and sealed it up. Starting gravity= 1.050. Bubbling away as we speak. I brewed my weight in beer in just one day!

You are living in the right place for that fermenter. I have to put my Blichmann 27 gal in a cooler. It's just too hot here sometimes. I have help drinking the beer and I think you do too, hence the 30 gallon fermenter. :D

I was looking to do this only on a 15 Gallon scale. Would you mind posting the part numbers for the fittings you used. They would be the same regardless of tank size as they all have a 2" full drain. I received these part numbers from a US Plastics rep, but I haven't seen them assembled to see if they provide too much bulkhead depth to allow for a racking arm. Wondering if you used these same parts or something else.

15 Gallon Conical - Full Drain - US Plastics Part # 8784 - $68.82
Full Drain Stand - US Plastics Part # 9907 - $74.41
2" - 1/2" Reducer Coupling - US Plastics Part # 26252 - $22.19

Also, did you put in a racking arm?

I was looking to do this only on a 15 Gallon scale. Would you mind posting the part numbers for the fittings you used. They would be the same regardless of tank size as they all have a 2" full drain. I received these part numbers from a US Plastics rep, but I haven't seen them assembled to see if they provide too much bulkhead depth to allow for a racking arm. Wondering if you used these same parts or something else.

15 Gallon Conical - Full Drain - US Plastics Part # 8784 - $68.82
Full Drain Stand - US Plastics Part # 9907 - $74.41
2" - 1/2" Reducer Coupling - US Plastics Part # 26252 - $22.19

Also, did you put in a racking arm?
Big no on the racking arm. You would have to have some more plastic welded on to support a racking arm. By raising up the stand it is possible to just use a racking cane to fill the cornies as they sit on the floor. All the fittings were available at a local plumbing supply store. The female fitting at the bottom is I think 1 1/2' then a reducer to 1 1/4" then a short length of 1 1/4" pipe to a 1 1/4" ball valve, an other short length of 1 1/4" then a fitting taking you back to 1 1/2'. Next is a fitting taking you to 2'' and the 2" T capped at the ends.

One mistake I made was to leave the valve closed for a week. Two days after opening it I closed it and remove the T. There was hardly anything in it. It had clogged up with trub. I sanitized a fiberglass rod and had to go through the airlock hole to open up the clog.

Back