First time bottling

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
I've been brewing for several years and have always kegged my beer and force carbonated with CO2. On my last bacth, an all grain IIPA, I bottle 6 12oz bottles and transferred the rest to the keg as usual. I primed the bottles with 1 coopers carbonation drop and then let sit at about 75 F for 2 weeks. I tried one tonight and it is flat, does it just need more time or is it something else? Primary on this beer went 1 week and I left it in seconday for 4 weeks. Majority of fermentation was at 68 F and at the end of secondary I dropped the temp to about 60 F. I wouldn't think that all of my yeast was completely out of suspension. OG was 1.077 and TG was 1.016.

Any ideas? All my kegged beer is great but I'd like to be able to store some / give some away without have to buy the equipment to bottle out of the keg.

Thanks,
Sun Devil

21 days at 70 degrees is the mantra, I wouldn't worry until after 3 weeks. Give it 1 more week and then see if its still flat.

I would give it more time. 4 weeks in secondary at a cooler temperature probably dropped most of the yeast out but I would think there should be enough to eventually carbonate the bottles. You will also need to keep the bottles in a warmer location until they are conditioned.

Why not just bottle some from the keg after it has fully carbonated? It is fairly easy to do and much faster.

Back