Atomic Buffalo Turds

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Fired up the smoker for the first time this season for a 9pd butt

Buffalo turds will go on with an hour left!!
First time eating these suckers will repost back!

I've done them on the grill before, but I think it's time to try them on the smoker. I wish I had a tiny little electric smoker. Something portable I can take to friend's houses.

made them on the grill last week,,,did not turn out all that well, I cut mine in half,next time I'll try to leave them whole and eliminate the smoky link

Have you compared that to the big green egg?

I have to wonder if the actual big green egg is worth the money or if you are merely paying for some green paint and a name.

The BGE is ceramic & definitely a higher quality product than the Char-Griller but way out of my price range. I picked up the Akorn @ Menards for $250, so far, so good.

Have you compared that to the big green egg?

I have to wonder if the actual big green egg is worth the money or if you are merely paying for some green paint and a name.

I love my BGE. I haven't seen the Akorn you showed above in person but the product description lists it as steel with double walled insulation. That's a huge difference from a full ceramic cooker.

My guess is if you found two similar specced ceramic cookers, that they would perform reasonably the same. In that case a cheaper vendor than the BGE would be a better bang for the buck..

The BGE is massive, thick and heavy, holds temps like a champ and is versatile like crazy. I've cooked everything on it from steaks, to fish, to smoking, to baking. Sure it's expensive up front, but I fully expect barring unforeseen circumstances that my 2yr old will be cooking on it as an adult.

I've done them on the grill before, but I think it's time to try them on the smoker. I wish I had a tiny little electric smoker. Something portable I can take to friend's houses.

230 for an hour and a half with some apple wood. Awesome.

230 for an hour and a half with some apple wood. Awesome.

Smoked a few this past weekend. Used most of a pack of thick cut bacon, but I think regular cut would have been better.

They were so good I made myself sick on them 2 days in a row. I was already going to smoke some ribs, so I threw some of these on as an appetizer.

WIN!

Smoked a few this past weekend. Used most of a pack of thick cut bacon, but I think regular cut would have been better.

They were so good I made myself sick on them 2 days in a row. I was already going to smoke some ribs, so I threw some of these on as an appetizer.

WIN!

yeah, they always go quick at our 4th of July cook

Yeah, I did another batch last week with regular cut bacon and applewood smoke. Just awesome.

I think I need to smoke a few of these up for the next gathering of friends in like 2 weeks.

On the smoker as I am typing this here are a few pics before and I will post more when finished . Coated with applewood rub and smoking with apple. First time cooking these so wish me luck lol.

ForumRunner_20130530_175742.jpg

ForumRunner_20130530_175729.jpg

The finished turds were excellent the neighborhood enjoyed the smell while they were smoking and I gave them a sample they wanted to know what was next experiment was here are some pics of the finished product.

ForumRunner_20130530_201155.jpg

ForumRunner_20130530_201142.jpg

I mix cream cheese with chopped garlic and crumbled feta or blue cheese for the stuffing. 2 hrs @ 220 does the trick.

The problem with ABT's is that no matter how many I smoke, there always seems to be too few . . . Even people who don't like peppers love 'eme.

I made about 30 of these to take on a float trip this past weekend. I used smoked sausage links that I cut to size instead of little smokeys and a little over half of the jalapenos were from the garden. I could tell which ones because they were actually still spicy. I brought some hickory and we built a little fire to cook on. The went over really well, but I still want to smoke some to see the difference. The ABTs are keeping some ginger marinated chicken company on the grill.

ABTs_zpsf28e9723.jpg

ABT2_zps4d01af8c.jpg

Me neither. My son & I saw it on BBQ Pit Boys a couple years ago. The only real difference is the lil smokies stuffed inside with the cheeses. Instead of shrimp to go with the steaks & corn for our anniversary the 27th,I'm gunna try to get some peppers to make a **** load of these! I'll have 3 different home brews to wash it all down with.

Made these for the first time in the oven on sunday. They were amazing. can't wait to smoke them.

Smoking takes them to a whole other level.

ABT's are one of those strange little animals. I never make them the same way twice because I always use whatever catches my fancy that's in the fridge. The same thing is true for my stuffed, smoked mushrooms. Button or portabellas are great!

IMG_2027.jpg

Some of the best I ever made were stuffed with a kind of chopped ham salad/cream cheese mix topped with pineapple. The heat & sweet combo was a huge hit!

IMG_2177.jpg

Funny thing about these, though. Use the cheap, paper-thin bacon so it cooks all the way through for best results.

Made ABTs twice in the last week. Grilled, not smoked, sadly, but they were fantastic!

I bought the biggest jalapenos I could find and used hickory-smoked thick-cut bacon. The filling consisted of cream cheese, pepper jack cheese, sun-dried tomatoes, garlic powder, smoked paprika, pepper and a little soy sauce.

Good stuff. They went great with my Serrano-Blackberry cider! Now I just have to find a cheap smoker...

Smoked 30 stuffed with sausage and assorted spices and about 2dozen stuffed with lump crab meat and mozzarella cheese for tonight

ForumRunner_20130927_162149.jpg

ForumRunner_20130927_162136.jpg

ForumRunner_20130927_162123.jpg

Latest posts

Back