Stuck fermentation?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

NikolausXX

Reaction score
We brewed a kit of porter from the local brew shop. We added some molases to the boil about 12oz. We brewed on Sunday, and now 3 days later, no bubbles, no activity. The yeast we used was Nottingham brewers yeast, and the temp is 65-70 degrees. Is it possible that the molases contaminated the wort making it unable to ferment. This is our 4th brew, and the only one that hasnt worked. Would it be wise to make a starter of some of the irish ale yeast I "washed" from my oatmeal stout and put it in there? We followed the directions to the T other than the molases. Or is the wort contaminated over time without fermentation? I guess its only been 3 days, but usually they kick off for us after 24 hours at the most. We sanatize everything, and follow all the rules, im just wondering if my friends molases he bought from Hy-vee is killing it?

I wouldn't think molasses would slow it down any unless in had preservatives in it. Preservatives would stop the yeast, but most likely not. Probably your lid is not airtight, so you are not seeing any bubbles. Try pushing the lid down again. Nottingham never fails for me.

not stuck, bucket was not air tight. Gravity 1.020 from 1.050, large ring, lots of head, smells good. Hopefully it didnt get infected.

It'll be fine, with the CO2 flowing out of it from fermentation it should not be an avenue for infection. Remember most of the time infection from air contact is going to be something floating downward, the bacteria don't seem too good at climbing :)

Back