Buffalo group buy for August/September 2015

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Hi - Welcome to the Buffalo group buy for August/September 2015.

I'd like to officially open the Buffalo Group Buy for August/September 2015.

We have an opportunity to get special bulk pricing from Dunkirk Homebrew Supplies in Dunkirk, NY.

This is our third group buy. I received several emails from people asking about doing another one.

Here is the grain list and pricing for the Buffalo Group Buy only: http://www.dunkirkhomebrew.com/BuffaloBulkBuyGrains/tabid/666/Default.aspx

Rules of the group buy:
  • We need a minimum of 10 50/55 lb. sacks to get the special pricing.
  • 10 lb. sacks are available, but do not count toward the minimum sack count.
  • Please PM me directly with your order. If it's posted online it won't count. Include the product ID listed in the first column on webpage, the description, and the price to help minimize mistakes.
  • I will keep the buy open until 09/13/2015 assuming we get the minimum # of orders.
  • All grain must be picked up at the same time. I will take care of the pickup. I just purchased a new pickup, so I should be good to go (The last pickup just about killed my Honda Element).
  • Grain will be distributed in Buffalo. We can determine a convenient location for everyone as this progresses. Worst case, we can distribute at my house in Pendelton.
  • I will provide updates on the amount of grain we've ordered as the buy progresses.
  • If you want to do splits, please make arrangements among yourselves.
  • Payment will be required prior to ordering, so please be prompt with your payment. You can PayPal me directly or send me a check made out to the vendor. I will forward all payments to the vendor. I'll provide payment details after we close the group buy.
Group Buy Process:
  • Accept orders through 09/13/2015.
  • Group buy closes on 09/13/2015.
  • Accept payment (~1 week).
  • Place order with vendor.
  • Wait for order to arrive.
  • Pickup order in Dunkirk.
  • Distribute in Buffalo, NY area. Location TBD.

Nice! Thanks for getting the ball rolling b-boy. I got an error when I tried the link. Any ideas?

Thanks in advance Dunkirk Homebrew!

Bummer. No bites? I'm definitely in for one sack if we can get the numbers.

I pretty much have the grains I need until December. As I go towards heavier beers and use different types of British grains for each batch. I've done two harvest beers and used the last of my 2-row with 1lb 6oz left! So I would go in for a sack of 2-row if the numbers come. I'll also offer the "city" drop off/pick up this time if it makes anything easier.

I pretty much have the grains I need until December. As I go towards heavier beers and use different types of British grains for each batch. I've done two harvest beers and used the last of my 2-row with 1lb 6oz left! So I would go in for a sack of 2-row if the numbers come. I'll also offer the "city" drop off/pick up this time if it makes anything easier.

Hey - I just realized I never got back to you on the beer you gave me last time. It was very good. I really enjoyed it.

Hey - I just realized I never got back to you on the beer you gave me last time. It was very good. I really enjoyed it.

Glad to hear it. It's always nice to get feedback on beers. I like to get critiqued by fellow brewers and knowledgeable beer drinkers the feedback is helpful to brew better beers. I basically brew for my taste. I haven't gotten the double back in the pipeline yet as I just brewed two harvest ales an IPA and an Old Ale with hops from the back yard.

But do put me down for a sack of 2-row again.

Just got this in:
2 - 1850C AVANGARD MALZ PREMIUM PILSEN MALT (1.5L) 55lbs
2 - 1928C Briess 2-ROW BREWERS MALT 50lbs
1 - 1915C Muntons MARIS OTTER MALT BLEND 55lbs
1 - 1862B AVANGARD MALZ PREMIUM VIENNA MALT (5L) 10lbs
1 - 1866B AVANGARD MALZ PREMIUM WHEAT MALT (2.5L) 10lbs

Just got this in:
2 - 1850C AVANGARD MALZ PREMIUM PILSEN MALT (1.5L) 55lbs
2 - 1928C Briess 2-ROW BREWERS MALT 50lbs
1 - 1915C Muntons MARIS OTTER MALT BLEND 55lbs
1 - 1862B AVANGARD MALZ PREMIUM VIENNA MALT (5L) 10lbs
1 - 1866B AVANGARD MALZ PREMIUM WHEAT MALT (2.5L) 10lbs

Someone's making a bit of beer!!!!

OK - August/September 2015 grain buy is officially closed.

Thanks to everyone who is participating. We ended up with 13 50-lb bags and a few 10-lb stragglers.

I will send out an email detailing payment/pick-up in the next few days.

Please pay promptly. I can't place an order until I have everyone's money in hand.

Hi Guys - the grain is in Dunkirk. I got an email yesterday. I will pick up the grain this weekend. I'll send out an email to everyone with details as soon as I can. I can't email from work.

I picked up the grain today. I just sent an email. The plan will be to pickup Monday @ 6:30. I'll send the location tomorrow. Alternatively, you can stop by my house if you'd like. My address is in the email.

Thanks to everyone who made it to the grain pickup last night.

I still have a few sacks of grain left. Let me know when you want to stop by and pick it up. There's no rush.

Thanks again to Dunkirk Homebrew Supplies and pmichael for sponsoring this. I'd like to keep this going if possible. It's nice to have a reasonably priced, reliable source for grain in WNY.

I'll plan on doing another buy in Jan/Feb 2016 timeframe if people are interested.

Otherwise - I'm closing this thread down until we do another grain buy.

*BTW - Thanks to allentwnguy for the homebrew. I tried some last night. It was very good. I wouldn't mind getting the recipe for that. I like old ales.

Thanks to everyone who made it to the grain pickup last night.

*BTW - Thanks to allentwnguy for the homebrew. I tried some last night. It was very good. I wouldn't mind getting the recipe for that. I like old ales.

You're welcome! And I'll send the recipe to you. It was partly a Frankenbeer!!!! I remembered that later on!

Where was the pickup for this buy? It's kind of my deciding factor if I get in on the buys.

We just did it in a parking lot in Cheektowaga or pickup at my house in Pendleton. The pickup is flexible. We can adjust it depending on the participants. I'm open to stopping along the way back from Dunkirk as needed.

I feel like a crack dealer sometimes. I sit in my truck in a Mighty Taco parking lot with the gate open. There are piles of grain sacks visible in the back. Every now and again someone will approach the truck, shake my hand, and take a sack of grain. It must look weird to the other people in the parking lot. :D

We get the grain from Dunkirk Homebrew Supplies. Great guys to deal with. I make the run to Dunkirk to pickup the grain.

We usually have 8-12 participants with a few sacks each, so it's small-scale at this point. I'd like to see it get a little bigger.

I did get in on the first group buy where pickup was at the mighty taco location. Wasn't sure if it was switching around for every buy.
I'll prob be in for the next buy.

OK - let me know when you're ready. As soon as we get at least 10 50-lb sacks we can place an order. I usually wait until I get a few requests before I start another grain buy.

Back