92% batch sparge efficiency? Huh

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Bobby_M

Vendor and Brewer
HBT Sponsor
Reaction score
This is the one day I didn't really care what efficiency I hit. I was splitting a batch with foxbrew and he's never all grain'd it so I didn't want to bore him with my theories of increasing %. I used a basic no mash out, double batch sparge.

Please check my math I overshot my gravity something fierce. I set BTP at 82% when I crafted the recipe and according the software, I got 92% brewhouse with only a 70 minute boil.

15lbs Baird's Vienna
2lbs Munich
2lbs Marris Otter
1lb crystal 40L

1.057 @ 11 gallons post boil. Can anyone plug that into beersmith or promash to doublecheck my numbers?

I really wish I had some secret to unlocking these numbers. I never checked my PH but I guess it's ideal. Nailed the mash at 153F. Sparged with 180F water. The first batch sparge settled in at 161F then the second was like 163F. The last runnings were like 1.020 so there was still sugar to had but I left it.

Yeah, I think the crush plays a part. The 3 other guys that used my mill overshot a bit too so I must have the rollers cranked down pretty tight. I don't think I'm overcrushing because no one's sparges stuck.

Back