GE 4.4 cubic foot fridge?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

pschrey109

Reaction score
Hey there. I'm SLOWLY getting closer to my kegerator as I have been waiting for the right used fridge on craigslist. A guy has a GE 4.4 cubic foot fridge for sale that I am gonna look at tomorrow.
Anyone converted one of these before? I have read alot on here about Sanyo, Kenmore, and Danby. Supposedly this one has a little freezer on the inside and a veggie tray.
Any thoughts?
Thanks

i tend to think that it will be too small.

first, i believe that sanyo 4912 is 4.9 cf
second, you say it has a freezer, that cuts into usable space as well, and you would have to bend it - i'd be too scared to try to bend it (the coolant lines are in it)

you might be able to get pin locks in it, but i honestly don't know without bringing kegs to check the height and total space.

you may only be able to use 2.5-3 gallon kegs in a fridge that size.

i would say go ahead and bite the bullet to get a sanyo 4912 at the store, or try to wait for one on craigslist. OR - get a chest freezer and temperature controller, or a full size fridge. the full size fridge you should be able to find for free, and chest freezer anywhere from 30-80 depending on size and what kind of deal you can find.

Bring some kegs along and take a look-see. You may be able to bend the freezer compartment out of the way (it probably has coolant lines in it, so be VERY careful).

Thanks for the tips. From the GE website it looks like it is one of those slide out freezer compartments so the cold air is coming from the top. I'll bring a keg to measure and check for coolant lines.
If I go with a chest freezer instead, how difficult is the conversion? I have heard that keeping the CO2 inside it can effect the CO2 gas performance. Is that true?

don't forget to bring a quick disconnect attached to the keg to see the total clearance needed.

chest freezer - all you need is a temperature controller. i personally have two love digital temp controllers, and really like them. you can build a collar if you want, or drill a hole in the lid for a tower.

co2 in the fridge is fine. i personally have mine outside so i can fit another keg inside. if you keep the co2 inside, the high pressure gauge will show a lower pressure, but that is just the nature of a gas. also, adjusting the pressure will be a bit different as the diaphragm will react slower in a colder environment.

I decided to scrap that one. I'll wait it out and save my pennies for a Sanyo or pre-made kegerator. Thanks for everyone's advice.

I went to check on this exact same model that someone had on CL. I took a tape measure. Armed with that, and the knowledge of the size of corney kegs I went to take a look.

It wasnt even close. If your dead set on buying used, just keep a close watch on CL. Otherwise Best Buy sells the 4912 for ~189. I got tired of looking and just bought a new one.

In a run of dumb luck, I actually ended up getting mine for free. I purchased mine online, and walked into the store to get it. On a totally random occurrence, their computer system was down. They let me take the fridge anyways, and the order ended up becoming cancelled. They credited my credit card. :ban:

Back