StarSan questions

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I continue to be dumbfounded by the people who insist on rinsing their no rinse sanitizer. I know "idiot" is a strong term, so I won't use it. but c'mon folks, stop rinsing the no rinse sanitizers. It's pointless, not necesarry, comes with many risks and no rewards. If you do it, at least do it quiety and stop talking about it on here.

woody34 said:
I continue to be dumbfounded by the people who insist on rinsing their no rinse sanitizer. I know "idiot" is a strong term, so I won't use it. but c'mon folks, stop rinsing the no rinse sanitizers. It's pointless, not necesarry, comes with many risks and no rewards. If you do it, at least do it quiety and stop talking about it on here.

Ok, we'll stop talking about it. Actually we'll just not post on these at all... And while we're at it, might as well stop brewing beer, or even drinking it, cause idiots shouldnt be consuming alcohol... Right?

Come on... These forums are to discuss, all are welcome. We are not all experts and everyone has their own points of view.

To rinse or not to rinse? That is the question!!

I use that ldcarlson easy clean. Says no rinse so i dont rinse. I know its not starsan but if it says dont rinse then follow the directions. I mean im not dead yet so.....somebody knows what they talking about right?

I use that ldcarlson easy clean. Says no rinse so i dont rinse. I know its not starsan but if it says dont rinse then follow the directions. I mean im not dead yet so.....somebody knows what they talking about right?
That is an oxygen based CLEANER. It is NOT a sanitizer.

3sheetsEMJ said:
Ok, we'll stop talking about it. Actually we'll just not post on these at all... And while we're at it, might as well stop brewing beer, or even drinking it, cause idiots shouldnt be consuming alcohol... Right?

Come on... These forums are to discuss, all are welcome. We are not all experts and everyone has their own points of view.

To rinse or not to rinse? That is the question!!

I agree with part about you no longer brewing beer. Or At least don't share it with anyone. If the question (for you) is "rinse or don't rinse", wouldn't the description "no rinse sanitizer" be the answer? Not sure how you, or anyone for that matter, can't grasp that. Oh well, I'll drink my beer and you can drink yours. But lets provide information and not misinformation on this forum.

woody34 said:
I agree with part about you no longer brewing beer. Or At least don't share it with anyone. If the question (for you) is "rinse or don't rinse", wouldn't the description "no rinse sanitizer" be the answer? Not sure how you, or anyone for that matter, can't grasp that. Oh well, I'll drink my beer and you can drink yours. But lets provide information and not misinformation on this forum.

Yikes, there is more e-rage building up in this thread than in an amateur Starcraft 2 match... I have seen people get bent out of shape over many things, but sanitizer was never one of them, ha ha!

No rinse sanitization works fine and has been pretty well defined in previous posts of this thread; you don't have to rinse it out if you don't want to. There is no gain in disputing fact!

However, admittedly a bit off topic, and as an aside, some folks just wanted to point out that you can still wash Starsan out and enjoy comparable performance. I don't think that it was brought up to hurt feelings!

Revvy said:
That's the whole point of this discussion.......No Rinse doesn't mean "Rinse if you're chicken" it means NO RINSE.

You are absolutely correct in equating identical objects! Please see above.

Whattawort said:
So why even buy the stuff if you're not going to use it as it was intended?

Any way you cut it, no rinse sanitizer's purpose is to sanitize. If that happens independent of rinsing, then it seems like it is being used as intended!

I am actually using the same bottle that I was given almost three years ago by my homebrew shop owner, so I technically haven't had to buy any. Yet. But when I run out, I'll buy another from him because that guy deserves all the business he can get!

djonas said:
Yikes, there is more e-rage building up in this thread than in an amateur Starcraft 2 match... I have seen people get bent out of shape over many things, but sanitizer was never one of them, ha ha!

However, admittedly a bit off topic, and as an aside, some folks just wanted to point out that you can still wash Starsan out and enjoy comparable performance. I don't think that it was brought up to hurt feelings!!

Thank you... Haha

However, admittedly a bit off topic, and as an aside, some folks just wanted to point out that you can still wash Starsan out and enjoy comparable performance. I don't think that it was brought up to hurt feelings!

!

NO you can't. If you rinse Starsan you are reducing it's efficacy by half.....

When we use a wet contact/no rinse sanitizer the way God and Charlie Talley intended (Not rinsing OR letting the sanitizer dry on the surface of the object) we are also creating a protective barrier on the object which prevents and subsequent micro organisms from rendering it unsanitized. It's like a double edge sword...it kills whatever's on there, but also kills anything that comes into contact with it after the initial kill, for as long as the surface is wet.

When you rinse off your starsan, you have elected to give up HALF of it's sanitization power, AND by rinsing it off with water, you also MAY be opening yourself up to infection from the very material you've used to rinse away the sanitizer.

We're not angry, we just don't like to see stupidity being recommended on here.

When you rinse off your starsan, you have elected to give up HALF of it's sanitization power, AND by rinsing it off with water, you also MAY be opening yourself up to infection from the very material you've used to rinse away the sanitizer.
And this is the main take away point. "Your" water may be completely contaminate free but the next guys may not. When advise is given that we need to rinse out the StarSan or that the foam is somehow bad then the guy that takes that advise and rinses out with contaminated water we will be seeing a "is my beer infected" thread.

I just started using StarSan and the first time I poured starter wort into a foamy jug I was a little apprehensive myself and I KNEW not to fear the foam. I harvested yeast from 2 bottles of commercial beer. Poured my 1.020 starter and the dregs from the two bottles into a jug full of foam. I now have a huge population of yeast from that (search my posts for the specifics).

Kingfish said:
And this is the main take away point. "Your" water may be completely contaminate free but the next guys may not. When advise is given that we need to rinse out the StarSan or that the foam is somehow bad then the guy that takes that advise and rinses out with contaminated water we will be seeing a "is my beer infected" thread.

I just started using StarSan and the first time I poured starter wort into a foamy jug I was a little apprehensive myself and I KNEW not to fear the foam. I harvested yeast from 2 bottles of commercial beer. Poured my 1.020 starter and the dregs from the two bottles into a jug full of foam. I now have a huge population of yeast from that (search my posts for the specifics).

Ok, this is obviously a hot topic and words like stupidity and idiot are being thrown around, which really is unnecessay.

Lets bring it back to Earth. Is there anyone reading this thread that has washed the starsan out of their carboy that ended up getting a bacterial infection? And if yes, did you carefully sanitize all of your equipment and use a proper process otherwise?

I am stubborn but not unyielding. If someone has had a personal experience with this causing an infection, and not just "read about it somewhere", then i will most definitely change my style and leave the starsan water in the carboy without rinsing it out... No issue.

Ok, this is obviously a hot topic and words like stupidity and idiot are being thrown around, which really is unnecessay.
You are quoting me and you need to reread my post(s) very slowly. Please point out where I said "stupid" or "idiot". Hell, I would challenge you to find a post of mine on ANY forum where I have insulted anyone. I have questioned people's reading comprehension skills though.

You have to understand why this is heated.... an opinion was asked about whether one should rinse... several people have said no rinse... since its a no rinse... No need to rinse... It wont hurt ya... have people infected their beer rinsing it our... probably not... but perhaps... hard to tell... if you are looking for the ONE person who rinsed and had no infection and not gonna listen to the tons of people who Dont Rinse... Fear No Foam my friend... :) and I top off my fermenters with the garden hose... :)

Kingfish said:
You are quoting me and you need to reread my post(s) very slowly. Please point out where I said "stupid" or "idiot". Hell, I would challenge you to find a post of mine on ANY forum where I have insulted anyone. I have questioned people's reading comprehension skills though.

My appologies... I quoted you only for the infection aspect of your thread, I did not mean to tie you to the first part about the words idiot and stupidity. Those insults came from others...

I don't mean to hijack this thread, but I've been thinking about this for a while now.

I've been using One-Step, because that's what I started with, and that's what I know. I think it will be more cost-effective to go the StarSan route, if I can do it and save it somehow. Nothing kills me more on brew day than dumping out a couple gallons of sanitized water when I'm done. It seems like a waste.

People have mentioned keeping a StarSan solution in a spray bottle. So... how long does it keep? Can I pour it out of my fermentation bucket when I'm ready to fill it, and keep it in another bucket with a lid on it? And for how long?

Revvy,
Could you please fix your post #36. That was not my quote it was from chungking on page 2, post #14. It was my mistake, I meant to put quotes arround it, but didn't fix it until after you posted. I'm with you man. As you can see (after I fixed the quotes), I was mocking post #14.

Thanks

A half gallon growler made up with 3. ml of Starsan and RO or distilled water is a lot more than I use for the entire brewing and bottling of 60 bottles of beer, provided that;

All your stuff, fermenter, tubing, siphons, spoons, lids, spigots, wand, and bottles (whatever you are using post boil) are CLEAN.
Starsan is for me used only as a sanitizer NOT a cleaner.

I spray everything with the Starsan and use everything while it is still wet. A vinator on bottling day is great, a few pumps and a pass through the foam for the bottle neck and it's ready to fill. The caps go in a dish of Starsan and are used wet.

I see no reason to make 5 gallons and fill things when just a spray is all you need if you have clean stuff to start with.

When done I still have plenty left and it keeps very well fo9r me. I use RO water because my regular water is extremely hard.

bosco

Oh my god who gives a ****!!!!! Brew some beer damn....and dont tell me i cant say **** bc people post chicks naked here. Yes i said ****! Who gives a **** rinse the damn thing if ya want to dont who cares!?!?!?!?!?! How about locking this thread? Its going nowhere.....

The funny thing is, ALL of these questions including rinsing after using Star-San are answered by the manufacturer in the podcast interview posted on the 1st page of this thread.
Try spending some time and listen to it.

I'll take the blame for the "idiot " comment. But in all fairness I was referring to a person who insists on rinsing a "no rinse" sanitizer. What should I have said?

Revvy said:
We're not angry, we just don't like to see stupidity being recommended on here.

Professor emeritus of online passive aggressiveness over here!

woody34 said:
I'll take the blame for the "idiot " comment. But in all fairness I was referring to a person who insists on rinsing a "no rinse" sanitizer. What should I have said?

Hop off the jump to conclusions mat, man! The a. verb "can" does not imply necessity, and therefore cannot logically lead to insistence. In other words, you don't have to do it if you don't wanna!

Johnnyhitch1 said:
:rockin::rockin:
id like to see what other experiments you conduct on yourself

I had a battery leak on to my clothes and eat a nice hole in my jeans, I didn't notice it for an hour or so when my leg started itching. It did give me a light chemical burn but it wasn't too bad.

Back