How i gave my hops more height to climb

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

blawjr

Reaction score
Just thought I would share. Simple and easy

Last edited by a moderator:
that is nifty right there still nice and small and compact grow area but can still get them high

I think is a great idea, very valid for first year hops. What you will see in future years is the hops that you dropped getting bushing and trying to grow from the bottom up, even if you have a tip at the top growing high. So your future issue will be keeping the dropped bines off the ground and from turning them into wild bushes all trying to grow up.

I suspect the solution will be to install a second 8' pole for each plant and take the fallen bine and hook it on to that pole so they stay off the ground. I also suspect that both poles will they try to grow up. I think it will be one of the most interesting looking hops around.

Please don't take this as discouragement, I like your idea. I just think you've traded one issue for another and I'm trying to help. I hope it works out for you. :)

I think is a great idea, very valid for first year hops. What you will see in future years is the hops that you dropped getting bushing and trying to grow from the bottom up, even if you have a tip at the top growing high. So your future issue will be keeping the dropped bines off the ground and from turning them into wild bushes all trying to grow up.

I suspect the solution will be to install a second 8' pole for each plant and take the fallen bine and hook it on to that pole so they stay off the ground. I also suspect that both poles will they try to grow up. I think it will be one of the most interesting looking hops around.

Please don't take this as discouragement, I like your idea. I just think you've traded one issue for another and I'm trying to help. I hope it works out for you. :)

Good point, i hadn't thought of that. I went this route mostly because i rent, and cant really plant them in the ground and build a large trellis system. Hopefully this method will work for me this year and maybe next year too. By then I hope to have them somewhere in the ground permanently. :mug:

Back