Warning signs of homebrew addiction

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
4x4jeep74 said:
Last Saturday I was twenty five minutes into the boil, just about to add my second addition of hops, when my neighbor's wife came over, all upset that her husband was cutting down trees in his yard, when one vary large branch fell on top of the bucket lift that he was standing in, knocking him out and left dangling some 30 feet in the air attached to a safety harness. I hate to admit it, but the first thing that raced through my mind was, who will add the hops.

Now the real question is - Why were you adding hops 25 minutes into the boil? Haha

Grantman1 said:
I'm in the middle of a wedding rehearsal and here I am cruising the forums

I would certainly be worried if it were your wedding rehearsal...

Guilty....... i take one with me to events where my wife wont let me bring my own beer. that way if BMC is all thats available ill suck on it while drinking it......

theDeutscher said:
Has anyone ever bought any of that hop-flavored candy? I think that would suggest a pretty big problem there.

I was at Adventures in Homebrewing recently and picked some up. Strong Cascade kick, good and cheap. Recommended.

You take a vacation day just to brew. (I wasn't going to have time during the weekend, and my pipeline was in jeopardy.)

You have a pipeline.

You rationalize your brewing decision to others.

Guilty, I have done this.

After 1 month the LHBS owner knows you by name and you have each others personal cell phone numbers

When you move to a smaller apartment and convince your girlfriend that in order to save space and be financially economical you need a new kegging/kegerator system. Then you spend money renting a storage unit for all the bottles you refuse to get rid of.

When you spend 3 hours at work reading 94 pages of posts because you want to create a Top 50 list and frame it above the kegerator.

You constantly have to lie to people and tell them that you have more beer than you know what to do with.
You make more DIPA than is humanly possible to consume before it loses it's hoppiness because you need an excuse to order more hops.
You give people free beer so that you can empty your bottles for the 3 full carboys that need to be bottled.
You are constantly reminded that jokes about beer styles and intricacy are only funny at the LHBS, and on the internet.

When you find a bit more time consuming way to make absolutely sure your bottles are squeeky clean. Not to mention the big stack of 12'r boxes with some cleaned bottles you can't give away & refuse to toss.
Also,when you find a 12 pack of another batch you were sure you'd finished tucked away in a corner.:tank:

When you find a bit more time consuming way to make absolutely sure your bottles are squeeky clean. Not to mention the big stack of 12'r boxes with some cleaned bottles you can't give away & refuse to toss.
Also,when you find a 12 pack of another batch you were sure you'd finished tucked away in a corner.:tank:

Or when you average 626.29 posts per month on Homebrew Talk ;)

When the LHBS has a reward points program that started this Jan and it works out to about $10 a 100 spent and you are saving up for Perliks. I have $75 so far.

When the garage is the first place SWMBO looks for kitchen utensils.

Along those lines, when your wedding registry is full of "brewing supplies" from Bed Bath and Beyond.

You walk by the beer freezer at the grocery store......................................... and just scoff! :p

If you start doing the math and calculating how much more beer ingredients or equipment you could've bought with the money you just spent on something else. (I bought new tires for the car the other day and all I could think of was in terms of how many batches I could've made with the money I just spent!)

You have to explain to your cleaning lady why there are two carboys with t-shirts clothing them in the bath tub she is about to clean....

When your son tells everyone at the kitchen table that he knows "daddy's favorite book of the bible; Hebrews!" Get it He brews.

or

When you take a PTO day to finish working on your fermentation chest.

or

First thing in the morning you dump the ice from the ice maker so you will have enough for the chiller on brew day.

you watch your kid pour a glass of coke and you say, tilt the glass then straighten it up at the end... good head on that one son!

When you're looking at potential places to move and the first thing you look at in google maps after where it's located is if there is a LHBS.

You are reading through this thread instead of studying for the promotional exam that is in 2 1/2 hours

When your wife goes into labor and you delay leaving for the hospital by an hour or two because that starter has only been on the stir plate for 12 hours and you can't cold crash it just yet.

I just shows my daughter the sam technique when she helped me pour a can of Mama's Lil Pils!

jed1975 said:
you watch your kid pour a glass of coke and you say, tilt the glass then straighten it up at the end... good head on that one son!

Your son is so proud of himself.................. he poured a better beer than you.................... or any of his friends & tells everyone about it!

When your addicted enough to think you can watch a 2 year old AND pull off and all grain brew day simultaneously... I made it happen... but never again.

Back