full boil partial mash?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

beerisgood42

Reaction score
Can i boil the full 5 gallons with a partial mash recipe? I was checking instructions on a midwest supplies kit (cascade pale ale) and it calls for 2 1/2 gallons (1 for steep 1 1/2 for sparge) for boil and add cold water in fermenter. And if I can, should I sparge with more than the 1 1/2 gallons the recipe calls for? This will be my third brew, first partial as I'm working my way up to all grain as I put together my mash tun. I'm working on a stove top with a 6 gallon pot and plan to buy a 10 gallon hopefully this weekend.

Yes, you can. It will give you better hop utilization. Not sure that a 6 gallon pot is big enough for a full 5 gallon boil.

A few concerns...
Your stove may not be able to boil 5 gallons.
A 6 gallon pot may not be able to handle a 5 gallon boil.
If you don't have a wort chiller it may take hours to cool more than 3 gallons.

You can boil the full volume. Need to be careful though, this will increase utilization of your hops resulting in more IBUs. Would be a good idea to run the recipe through beersmith or similar to get an idea of the difference and make adjustments if you want to.

I wouldn't sparge with more than 1.5 gallons. Could lead to over extraction and tannins etc.

EDIT: this is assuming your kettle is big enough and your stove can boil that volume

Can i boil the full 5 gallons with a partial mash recipe?
Absolutely, this is recommended, just not always possible. Although you'll want to include loss from boil and hops (which I'm sure you considered). And Downinit makes a good point. Could take awhile without a hefty immersion chiller or something of the like.

And if I can, should I sparge with more than the 1 1/2 gallons the recipe calls for?
You certainly can, but it probably won't raise your efficiency any, so I don't recommend it. There is also the worry of oversparging, but it is very unlikely with your method.

thanks for the replies. i guess i'll steep and sparge as per the recipe. add water to make 5 gallon boil and top of whatever in the fermenter. i appreciate the help.

Back