WOW I am a dummy...

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

beerme72

Reaction score
OK so I just made my first rookie mistake. I got my Wolf Creek Cream Ale kit and started to brew. I was putting my Specialty Grains in their sack to start the process and accidentally dropped all the grain into the water. I didn't know what to do. I thought about it for a second and thought I would try and press on, but after thinking about it, I could not figure out a way to get the grain out of the water. Brew day over before it started.

SO here are my questions. Was there a way that I could have kept going on with the process? Can I get just the specialty grains or do I have to buy the whole kit again? If I brew this batch without the specialty grain (just boiling the extract and hops) what kind of beer (if any) will that be.

Again I know I am a noob and a dummy, so please keep those remarks out.:mug:

maybe you could have strained the grains from your water by using a second pot and typical kitchen strainer/colander. then put the water back in your brewpot, add extract and begin your boil.

Actually what you did was no big deal - should you have another issue during the process of your live brewing and you simply don't know what to do, drop by the forums and ask. There's always someone around who can lend a hand.

Rescuedog is correct, at the end of your steeping you could have strained the grains out and then fired up your pot again to boil so you could add your extract.

Hang in there and I hope the next round goes better!

I don't use a bag at all. All I do is dump the grain in the water. After the steep dump all the grain and water through a strainer into the boil kettle.

No need to buy the whole kit again. Your local home brew store, or whatever site that you got the kit from probably sells those grains. Replace whatever grains that you need and reuse everything from the first kit (extract, yeast, hops, etc.)

Stop in the paint department of a big store and get a pair of 5 gallon paint strainers. They will fit in your fermenter bucket and you can just dump the water and grain in there and then lift the paint strainer out with all the grain in it, then dump the water back into your kettle. The paint strainers are nylon and come 2 in the package for under $5. This will also set you up to do a brew in a bag if you choose to go to all grain.

Back