60 mph winds in Chicago..hops trellis down

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

discgolfin

Reaction score
Well the title explains it..16 ft high trelleis/copper tube was torn up..plants are ok but need to rebuild with out hurting my 7 hop plants...one hell of a storm blew in..

Bummer. We had some wind here a couple weeks aog that had me worried.

I'm in Aurora IL, got hit by the same storm. Remember this morning when it was 90 degrees and insanely dry? I put the ladder on the side of the house to retrain the top of my bines. While running errands I saw the clouds come in. Wind knocked my ladder over, it got caught up in my Chinook. When I found it I assumed everthing would be torn up and ruined, but the Chinook bines were thick, strong, and held the abuse of a big ladder flung into them.

Sucks to hear about your trellis. I knew another guy in Lisle that had the same problem. Hope your hops can be salvaged.

I thought I had survived the great Wind Storm of 2010 unaffected. Today I was outside tending and I found a dead bine. Whole thing shrivled up. I'm confident during the wind storm the bine tore free from the rhizome. My ropes were to loose and I didn't notice until it shriveled up. So I to, am a victim of the 2010 storm. Sigh...

I haven't noticed any damage to hops even yet, although it did help to tangle some longer sidearms.

On the other hand, I had some blackberry canes knocked down/killed and had some damage to my potato bin experiment. No other noticeable damage as of yet.

Bummer! I remember those winds from my childhood in Crete, IL and getting blow off the porch into the junipers!

I just need to secure it better for next year..Trellis is back up..lost both hallertau that were doing great and one of my cenntennial..Sucks but what you gonna do..I probably messed the cenntennial trying to bring the trellis off the fence and back into my yard..side note I had planned to dig up the Hallertau crown 3 year old..and get rid of it..If anyone in Chicago is interested let me know..not looking to make money..just cover the work to dig it up ect....If you get it in the grown by the end of summer..it should do good next year.

Back