Question regarding Wyeast Activator

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

boralyl

Reaction score
So I purchased an extract kit from Williams Brewing that came with Wyeast Activator smack pack. The instructions included with the kit say to smack the pack and let sit at room temp for 1-7 days. The instructions on the actual yeast package says it only needs 3 hours or more. I've only ever used dry yeast, so which instructions are correct?

In addition there is a sticker put on to the yeast package that reads: "Warning! Must be activated and swollen to 1 1/2" thick or more before using. Allow 1 to 7 days for swelling to occur." I've looked around a bit, and it seems like I should just follow the instructions on the yeast package (3 or more hours).

Any help would be appreciated. I want to brew this weekend, so if I need to wait 1-7 days I need to activate it today.

I just used one these for the first time.

Smacked it, shook it up, waited about 3 hours, shook again and pitched into a starter, and pitched the starter into my wort two days later. This worked very well and my beer finished most of its fermentation within three or four days.

I've used activators a number of times. My last batch (just last weekend), I let it sit about 10 hours after activation. That pack was pretty fat! That's the longest I've ever let one sit. More than even a day seems excessive, at least in my experience.

I have been experimenting with harvesting yeast and also making starters, so likely will go with a starter from now on. I've used a starter on 2 batches (not the most recent), and the fermentation has taken off much more quickly.

Back