First shot at recipe formulation - Belgian Blonde advice

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BoogieBrandBooze

Reaction score
This is my first attempt at recipe formulation so I'm wide open for advice on this one. I looked at a few Belgian Blond recipes and checked out the BJCP style guide to try to get it as close as possible. I'm looking for an ale that would appeal to those who prefer lagers and pilseners and thought this style might fit the bill. I formulated it in Beersmith with just the default settings since I haven't really measured my efficiency and all that yet. Let me know how this looks and what you might change or do differently. Also, feel free to correct my terminology or anything else...I still have quite a lot to learn:

Type: Partial Mash
Batch Size: 5.50 gal
Boil Size: 6.30 gal
Boil Time: 60 min
Brewhouse Efficiency: 75.00 (again, I have no clue what my efficiency is so this is just the default)

6.50 lb Pilsner Liquid Extract (3.5 SRM) Extract 56.52 %
0.50 lb Candi Sugar, Clear (0.5 SRM) Sugar 4.35 % (B](how necessary is the candi sugar, if at all?)[/B]
2.00 lb Pilsner (2 Row) Bel (2.0 SRM) Grain 17.39 %
1.00 lb Cara-Pils/Dextrine (2.0 SRM) Grain 8.70 %
1.00 lb Vienna Malt (3.5 SRM) Grain 8.70 %
0.50 lb Aromatic Malt (26.0 SRM) Grain 4.35 %

Grains mashed for 60 min
Add 4.50 qt of water at 173.7 F for mash temp of 158.0 F

1.00 oz Styrian Goldings [5.40 %] (60 min) Hops 15.6 IBU
1.00 oz Goldings, East Kent [5.00 %] (10 min) Hops 5.2 IBU
1.00 oz Styrian Goldings [5.40 %] (5 min) (Aroma Hop-Steep)

1 Pkgs Belgian Abbey II (Wyeast Labs #1762) Yeast-Ale

Est Original Gravity: 1.067 SG
Est Final Gravity: 1.016
Estimated Alcohol by Vol: 6.71 %
Bitterness: 20.8 IBU

Looks good.

The candi sugar is not necessary. It's used mainly to dry out the higher ABV Belgian styles. You can sub another type of sugar or leave it out entirely.

That is a pretty hot mash. While you will probably hit OG, the sugars you get from the grain will not be very fermentable, so you might have issues hitting your target FG.

That is a pretty hot mash. While you will probably hit OG, the sugars you get from the grain will not be very fermentable, so you might have issues hitting your target FG.

What temp do you think I should be at? Maybe closer to 155?

Have you made any Belgians before? If you trust your yeast and fermentation temperatures, you can basically reduce the recipe to just Pilsener malt. It may be boring from a recipe formulation point of view, but most of the blondes and tripels I saw in Brew Like a Monk were simply a Pilsener malt, and the flavor comes from the yeast. I would definitely lean in that direction if you're trying to tempt lager drinkers - keep it simple and light.

I would second the idea of not using sugar as well. It's only there to up the alcohol, and the blondes are lower in alcohol than the other light colored Belgians: golden strong and tripel.

Have you made any Belgians before? If you trust your yeast and fermentation temperatures, you can basically reduce the recipe to just Pilsener malt. It may be boring from a recipe formulation point of view, but most of the blondes and tripels I saw in Brew Like a Monk were simply a Pilsener malt, and the flavor comes from the yeast. I would definitely lean in that direction if you're trying to tempt lager drinkers - keep it simple and light.

I would second the idea of not using sugar as well. It's only there to up the alcohol, and the blondes are lower in alcohol than the other light colored Belgians: golden strong and tripel.

I've done on Belgian before which came out nicely...it was warmer weather then and I didn't (and still don't) have a system to regulate temperature so I think the yeast did it's job with the ambient temps at the time. I'm thinking I'll rig something up to compensate for the colder temps...

Thanks for the advice about the malts. Though I am definitely trying to appeal a certain demographic I am also using this as a way to introduce them to some slightly more complex flavors...and to be honest, I want to like the darn thing too! If it's a flop with them, maybe next time I'll clean up the malt bill...or just get a lagering fridge...

I'm kind of excited to make a blonde with a very simple grain bill. As a homebrewer I tend to make a lot of complex beers, because it's fun to tinker with the recipe, but sometimes a simple beer is a nice change of pace. Looking forward, I can see enjoying a Belgian blonde (with no shortage of flavor, thanks to the yeast) on a hot summer day.

I'm kind of excited to make a blonde with a very simple grain bill. As a homebrewer I tend to make a lot of complex beers, because it's fun to tinker with the recipe, but sometimes a simple beer is a nice change of pace. Looking forward, I can see enjoying a Belgian blonde (with no shortage of flavor, thanks to the yeast) on a hot summer day.

I am a true believer in simplicity so I'm with you there. I've only been brewing since May and have recently been trying to read more in-depth stuff and learn, learn, learn. I figure I will experiment with as much as I can and hopefully get to a point where I can subtract rather than add to get where I need to be. There's just too much to brew and never enough time!

One concern is the original intent.

I'm looking for an ale that would appeal to those who prefer lagers and pilseners and thought this style might fit the bill.

Belgian Blondes can be pretty sweet beers. IMO its a very different taste than a german pils or a czech pils.

But hey, everyone I've handed a lefse (northern brewers clone) really liked it, so I guess you could be ok.

I should probably clarify my original intent a bit more. Though these particular people prefer lagers and the like they are a bit more open-minded than the usual BMC-only crowd. I'm thinking a blond would be a good stepping stone for them...

One concern is the original intent.

Belgian Blondes can be pretty sweet beers. IMO its a very different taste than a german pils or a czech pils.

But hey, everyone I've handed a lefse (northern brewers clone) really liked it, so I guess you could be ok.

Well, that bill mashed at 158 will be pretty sweet.

Well, that bill mashed at 158 will be pretty sweet.

Well, I'm not looking for anything too sweet...based on your advice I'll keep it as close to 152 as possible...once I get this one done hopefully I'll remember to let you all know how it came out!

Thanks to everyone for the help!

Back