Upright Keezer Idea

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

wh4tig0t

Reaction score
I recently purchased a used Kenmore upright freezer to use as my kegerator. After cleaning out all of the coagulated deer blood from the drain trap (super fun, thanks previous owner) I've got the thing hooked up to a Johnson Controls analog thermostat, which is doing a good job keeping all of the bottles I have cool on the top two shelves. Obviously if I'm in and out of it a lot for bottles, the cold air is going to spill out every time I open it. The bottom half will be all kegs and a C02 tank, so i won't need access to that all the time.

My idea is to use construction adhesive or something else like that to attach some pieces of wood to the sides and bottom edges of the insides to act as anchors, because my freezer definitely has evap coils running in the sides. Then using either zippers or snaps attach a fleece blanket to the wood to keep the air from spilling out the bottom half, while still allowing me access to the kegs when I need to get them out. This way i can continue to use the top two shelves for bottled beer and other beverages, and retain some of the efficiency advantages of using a freezer as a refrigerator.

Any thoughts or suggestions? Anyone done anything similar?

Edit: Its a Kenmore ~20cf White Freezer, maybe a few years old.

Why not use 3/4" foam board to make a "door inside the door" on the bottom half? Use tape or velcro to hold it in place. You don't need much physical strength, just something to hold in the cold.

The foam board is about $12 per 4x8' sheet. You can use the rest to make a little fermentation cooler.

Back