DIY Temperature Controller?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Musketear

Reaction score
I really would love to get into lagering, but have one big problem stopping me. I really don't want to shell out $50-something for a temperature controller. Does anyone know of a way to build or obtain one for cheaper?

Cheers,
Jeff

I thought about that, I am just not sure how to get the thermostat to switch on a 120V Refrigerator or A/C unit...

You'll need a low voltage (12/24v power supply) and a relay. $10 - $15 for both of those items, unless you already have them lying around.

Which puts you at - $40 + your time for hacking the A/C thermostat. :)

Do yourself a favor and buy correctly designed parts the first time...

While I don't want to rain on your parade, I agree with lamarguy's first two statements.

I completely object to his third line, though. I really like making my own stuff. It's not always cheaper, it does take time, but I learn a ton, and it's very enjoyable.

Do yourself a favor and buy correctly designed parts the first time...

I completely object to his third line, though. I really like making my own stuff. It's not always cheaper, it does take time, but I learn a ton, and it's very enjoyable.

If a part doesn't exist or can be built for a reasonable price (<= commercial part and of similar quality), I completely agree. But, hacking an A/C thermostat when well priced analog/digital controllers are available on the open market in an attempt to save $10 and potentially destroy a thermostat? :confused:

In the process, one might learn:

How to solder
About relays
About sensors
About circuit design

If the motivation is purely monetary, it's a bit of a frivolous venture. If the motivation is a learning experience culminating in the satisfaction of successfully building a useful tool...I say, brilliant!

Well... I sort of have to agree with both of you. 1, the savings is not worth the time. 2, the learning that might occur may be worth it.

But right now I don't have the time for the learning. So I guess lagering will have to wait until I have a little more cash to spend on stuff.

If the motivation is purely monetary, it's a bit of a frivolous venture. If the motivation is a learning experience culminating in the satisfaction of successfully building a useful tool...I say, brilliant!

Philosophically speaking, I say brilliant too! :)

Musketear, good luck with your temperature control problem.

I did the thermostat mod from the wortomatic site for my son of fermentation chiller. Granted, it doesn't have a relay, but the remote thermistor works great. I tape the thermistor to my fermentor and cover it with a folded paper towel. Now the thermostat reads within 1deg of my fermometer. I don't see why you couldn't just add an SSR.

(FWIW, after much bitter experience, I've come to the self-realization that I like to build stuff myself, even though it usually costs more in the end. To be completely honest, I think I may enjoy building the gadgets more than actually brewing. Brewing is just an excuse to design/build new toys...)

Back