Grant's Perfect Porter Clone - AG help needed

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MTHarrington

Reaction score
Looking for any all grain help on this one...

I figure this is a brown porter... from their old website:
Low vol % alcohol, ~4%
OG 1.048
FG 1.014

25 IBU's with Williamette hops

Color, they have as 90. I'm not sure what scale their using. SRM i would suppose would have to be lower than 30.

Lists the Malts they use: Carmel, Chocolate, Black, Pale and Peat smoked.
No Adjuncts.

I'll likely be using S-04 for the yeast.

I have a friend that LOVES this beer.. and Since that brewery is long gone, she wants me to try to re-create it. And that's hard considering it's not around anymore and I haven't tasted it.

Any other beer out there that are good analogs to BG Perfect Porter?

Anyhow what I need the most help with is the grain schedule...
I'm getting about 75% efficiency

This is what I have now.. any help tweaking from those that know this beer would be very helpful. I know, the cara-pils is extra, but I figure it can't hurt...

6.00 lb Pale Malt (2 Row) US (2.0 SRM) Grain 69.52 %
0.75 lb Cara-Pils/Dextrine (2.0 SRM) Grain 8.69 %
0.75 lb Caramel/Crystal Malt - 60L (60.0 SRM) Grain 8.69 %
0.50 lb Chocolate Malt (350.0 SRM) Grain 5.79 %
0.50 lb Peat Smoked Malt (2.8 SRM) Grain 5.79 %
0.13 lb Black (Patent) Malt (500.0 SRM) Grain 1.51 %
1.25 oz Williamette [5.50 %] (60 min) Hops 24.6 IBU

I had an old bottle a couple years back, but I just remember it being oxidized.

I would cut back on the peat smoked, it is very potent. 1-2 oz is all you need for a bit of complexity. Other than that your recipe looks good to me (although I might up the black patent to .25 and drop the carapils).

Hope that helps, good luck brewing it.

Definitely drop the peat smoked to only an ounce or two like oldsock says or you could use 1/2 a pound of the German smoked malt which isn't as overpowering as the peat smoked.

Ok.. taking this all into account. This is what I'm thinking now.. after consulting other people's take of the beer... what they remember
Main points are very chocolaty, milk chocolate milk notes, noticeable peat notes.. and thinner.

A few new ideas..
I am adding some cocoa powder to the boil (at the end) for a bit more chocolate. I have done this with other porters with great success. I am adding a tad of lactose for some sweetness.

Per the recommendations, I've added more black patent (to a 1/4 lb) and lowered the smoked peat to 2 ounces. I may throttle that back to 1 1/2 ounce. We'll see.
The chocolate might be overkill, but all I've heard is that the chocolate is a primary theme in this brown porter. Something about the chocolate mixing with the sweetness of the malt and just a touch of smokyness.

Added some more pale, to up the OG just a bit.

The carapils I've lowered too... I want SOME body in this thing, and if I have heard any complaint about this beer is that it's a bit on the thin side for a porter. I might drop it altogether, we'll see.

Amount Item Type % or IBU
7.50 lb Pale Malt (2 Row) US (2.0 SRM) Grain 77.98 %
0.75 lb Chocolate Malt (350.0 SRM) Grain 7.77 %
0.50 lb Caramel/Crystal Malt - 60L (60.0 SRM) Grain 5.15 %
0.25 lb Black (Patent) Malt (500.0 SRM) Grain 2.60 %
0.25 lb Cara-Pils/Dextrine (2.0 SRM) Grain 2.55 %
0.13 lb Peat Smoked Malt (2.8 SRM) Grain 1.35 %
1.25 oz Williamette [5.50 %] (60 min) Hops 23.6 IBU
8.00 oz Cocoa Powder (Boil 10.0 min) Misc
0.25 lb Milk Sugar (Lactose) (0.0 SRM) Sugar 2.60 %
1 Pkgs SafAle English Ale (DCL Yeast #S-04) Yeast-Ale

All critiques are welcome.....

I think 8 oz of cocoa powder will make this into a very chocolaty beer, I use less than that in my chocolate stout. If you want to just add some extra-chocolate flavor without making it a chocolate beer I would go with more like 2 oz. I would also hold off on the lactose, you can always add it along with the priming sugar if it tastes too thin after fermentation.

Other than that it looks good, let us know how it turns out.

How'd the Grant's Porter turn out? I really enjoyed going to the Grant's in Yakima when I lived there.

Anybody ever find the clone recipe?

Back