Cascade vs Hallertau

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Lefty

Reaction score
This is my first year growing hops. I have these two varieties planted and growing happily in the back yard. The Cascade broke ground and shot up 2 feet in as many weeks. No big suprise there. It came up as one bine and started sprouting into multiple bines off the one that broke ground. No worries, they are all happy to climb the two twine runs I set up.

My Hallertau is a different story. It was much lazier in breaking through and lazy in growing. Took better part of two months to reach the twine about 10 inches off the ground. It has since broke ground in different spots. About 5 different places where it is coming through the ground. And none of them are much taller than 2 feet.

Is this a variety difference between the two hop rhizomes? I know I should prune back to 3 or so bines to allow them to grow, but in doing that I will be cutting a LOT of the Hallertau. Being this is the first year growth, should I no prune and let them be...see what happens with them?

I'm seeing the same thing with Cascade vs Fuggle. From what I can tell its tough to compare any other variety to the speed of Cascade. I planted mine the same day about 3 weeks ago and the Cascade is about 10" high and the Fuggle is maybe 2". I picked up a book, The homebrewers garden, and have a better idea of what varieties grow best at home. Speed, hardiness, yield, etc.

I don't prune first year hops, I let them grow as they like. I also found that sometimes if the hops don't get to a twine or something to climb they'll just stop growing. I had that happen on my nugget rhizome last year. Now on first year plants I'll sometimes put a small stick in the ground near them and help them climb to the twine using that.

My 2nd year cascades are at the top of my 18' trellis now, they are good growers.

Is this a variety difference between the two hop rhizomes?

Yes, or year-to-year, or phase of the moon. Seriously, Cascade is probably the best grower, any where, any time.

Although some people like to let all the bines grow the first year, this can encourage mold and mildews. Getting bines up the twines will maximize the percentage of leaves that get full sun.

Some varieties jsut grow better in certain regions/areas.
Here's my experience in SE PA:

About 10 years ago, I planted Cascasde, Goldings and Hallertau.

Cascades: I still have them, have propagated them harvest from them every year.
Goldings: never did anything; grew to 6-8 feet and stopped. I finally dug them out and tossed them (replaced with Cascade).
Hallertau: First couple of years not much growth, still not a big producer: maybe 1/2 oz each year.

Last year, I planted Horizon, Mt Hood, Centennial, & Williamette:

Centennial & Mt Hood: have grown well; decent yield (even first year). Very strong growth this year.
Williamette: so/so first year, growing well this year.
Horizon: poor growth last year, poor growth this year. Gonna give it another year or two, but so far this one is a candidate for replacement.

*IMO* I wouldn't prune back any of the bines for first year plants. Let the plant do its thing.
I think the biggest threat to a hop plant(which is a weed) is the new grower---->allow the system to grow "underground". After that year, you will be beating those things down and yelling profanity while doing it:mug:
But no matter what, have fun growing 'em!:rockin:

Back