Moving homebrew

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

thoward77

Reaction score
So a question to put out to the group. In my planning this year's brew schedule, I've been trying not to start anything that will take to long, because I'm moving in November. But SWMBO pointed out to me that anything we make, we're going to have to try and MOVE. So I was wondering how we would go about this. I know the company hired movers won't move alcohol, and we'll fly since we're moving from Alaska to the lower 48. I've also heard that you can't ship it via UPS, FEDEX, or USPS. I know I can bring it on the plane, but I'll feel awkward walking into the airport with a dog, a shotgun, and 6 cases of homemade wine and beer (traveling in true Alaskan style).

Please advise! I hope I don't have to slow our brew plans!

Honestly, the answer is to stop brewing a month out. Make smaller batches and drink what you can. Give away the rest to friends, and save the recipes if you like them.

You'll be able to brew once you get settled.

I'm in the middle of packing as well, as I'm closing on a new home. I still brewed a batch last week, and I have 2 weeks until I move. It'll be put in a keg, and dry hopped and by the time I get moved, settled in, and whatnot, it'll be on the gas and carbed perfectly to sit down in my new house for a sip.

I admit, I'm only moving .5 mile away... but still.. I'm moving. ;)

It's illegal to ship alcohol via USPS, but it's legal to ship via UPS and FedEx, although I believe against their policies. That said, I've shipped via UPS and never had a hassle (I just print the print the label myself, pack and attach it, and hand it to them. Never even been asked the contents). Then again, that's shipping a handful of bottles, not 6 cases.

Is there a reason the movers won't move alcohol? Again, just policy?

I'd also check before trying to check that much alcohol in baggage. I wouldn't be surprised if there's some sort of limit on how much you can check.

I have a friend in Alaska and they said there shouldn't be any problems shipping out there. The only thing they suggested (which should be obvious) is to wrap it well. They said any of the major companies can do it, but according to a previous post (I'd name you, but I can see the forum when editing), not all allow for it. You should be fine to ship it though.

Honestly, the answer is to stop brewing a month out. Make smaller batches and drink what you can. Give away the rest to friends, and save the recipes if you like them.

This. Makes no sense to try and ship 6 cases of beer. The price for shipping it would be crazy, and there is a good change that many bottles won't make it that far. Moved from VA to CO 2 years ago, and just drank all of my supply before leaving. I did ship about 6 cases of bottle (bombers and flip tops, didn't work about 12oz bottles), and that was still crazy due to weight, and the fact that a couple of cases didn't make it all the way.

you're moving in november, as in 10 months from now? schedule your brewing and consumption so that you have nothing, or very little, left by then. i could understand shipping a few bottles of barleywine or something that has been aging, but there is no reason to ship a standard IPA. you ship by UPS/fedeex/etc but it's pretty damn expensive, especially from AK. you can pack some in your checked luggage, but there is a limit as to how much you can safely stuff in there. i don't think the airlines have a limit. i've come back from europe with 10 bottles of wine in my suitcase and they didn't say anything.

you're moving in november, as in 10 months from now? schedule your brewing and consumption so that you have nothing, or very little, left by then. i could understand shipping a few bottles of barleywine or something that has been aging, but there is no reason to ship a standard IPA. it's pretty damn expensive, especially from AK. you can pack some in your checked luggage, but there is a limit as to how much you can safely stuff in there. i don't think the airlines have a limit. i've come back from europe with 10 bottles of wine in my suitcase and they didn't say anything.

http://www.tsa.gov/traveler-information/alcoholic-beverages

I just double checked. 5 liters is the max in checked baggage for strong alcoholic beverages (24% plus), but seems you're right, no limit for beverages below that limit. My concern wasn't the airlines as much as the government. I know if you're traveling internationally it can become more complicated with customs (I don't know the alcohol limit, but I know cigarettes are limited to a single carton into the US), but that's not an issue here.

UPS updated their private alcohol, no liquor/spirits, policy last year. Just check with your local UPS center, they sign contracts IF they choose to participate in shipping wine/beer. People ship wine all the time, private moving companies included, but you just have to find one that will include in household goods.

Thanks all for the ideas. The moving company is corporate chosen, and they're paying for it, so I won't be switching companies. I know I saw it in their policies that they won't ship alcohol. Plus, its all getting shipped by boat, in unheated containers, so it'd all freeze. I think we'll find a nice happy medium of consumption/gifting/checked baggage. It's mostly that I have some of my wines that I'm going to want to let bottle age for a while longer and I'm not ready to part with them yet!

Thanks again!

I know it's dishonest, but as long as you pack them so they don't bang together, the moving guy is just going to think it's another box of... records, magazines, etc.. That's what I'd do, but that's just the way my daddy taught me!

My movers took 11 cases of my homebrew. They only have the "no alcohol" clause due to taxation laws. All they did was to make sure that the boxes were sealed and they stacked them where if a bottle broke, it wouldn't soak anything else.

It was a corporate move also, so I had no choice of movers.

Do plan on going back to Alaska for a visit or for work? You could leave some wine with a trusted friend for when you come back in a year or two. Then you would have a few bottles of aged fine wine waiting for you and bring some more back in your luggage.

Probably won't be back to the state anytime soon. And I would try to get the movers to take it, but like I said, the containers won't be temperature controlled and I don't want to freeze it all up. But I'm sure I can get enough of the important bottles with my free checked bags!

Probably won't be back to the state anytime soon. And I would try to get the movers to take it, but like I said, the containers won't be temperature controlled and I don't want to freeze it all up. But I'm sure I can get enough of the important bottles with my free checked bags!

Wrap them good. There should be enough booze in them that they won't freeze anyways.

Latest posts

Back