Too Many Taps

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

socmat23

Reaction score
No such thing as too many taps. As well as being a home brewer, I also bar manage for a couple of bars. We are opening a new one and plan to have 50 beers on tap. Having 32 taps in one of our current locations, I know how much wall space is consumed. I didn't know if anyone out there has ever seen stacked taps. This way we might be able to get 2 rows of 25 and cut the length in half. however, I have never seen staked taps and am not sure how do-able, or efficient it would be. Anyone out there have any suggestions?

2586378884_66117f307b_z.jpg

Pic from the flying saucer.

Here is a small picture of the tap setup @ Firewaters in Atlantic City. It may be worth spending some time on google to see if you can find more info:

Firewaters_028.jpg

Is it possible with your space to have a central bar with a counter all the way around and taps on each side? That's the best use of space I've seen in a bar. The stacked taps look like a pain to deal with.

Most Flying Saucers have "staggered" taps. They aren't stacked, per se, but one tap is on the bottom, the the next is over about 3" and up about 3", then the next tap is over about 3" and down about 3", over and over again.

Most Flying Saucers have ~80 taps in a ~35' wall space.

EDIT: looks like everyone beat me to it.

How adamant are the distributors/breweries about using their specific tap markers. If you used the boring black plastic or even something custom but small, you could jam a ton of them in. They can be as close as 2.5" on center. The only consideration in stacking is avoiding dripping on the faucet below. The small handles would allow you to setup up two rows of drip pans though.

How adamant are the distributors/breweries about using their specific tap markers. If you used the boring black plastic or even something custom but small, you could jam a ton of them in. They can be as close as 2.5" on center. The only consideration in stacking is avoiding dripping on the faucet below. The small handles would allow you to setup up two rows of drip pans though.

I want to see the correct markers so I know what they have. Too many times the menu and the waitstaff are incorrect as to what's on tap.

Nick's pub in St. Louis has 65 on draft, and its a long setup, with almost half on front of the bar and half behind. (wish I had pics :() But they have em pretty close together with mostly smaller versions of the brewers tap handles. Kind of a tough choice to make with that many brews available sometimes, though. Next time I go I will try to remember to get some pics.

I want to see the correct markers so I know what they have. Too many times the menu and the waitstaff are incorrect as to what's on tap.

Part of running a business that is so focused on having an amazing tap list is keeping the list up to date. I've never been able to sit there scanning the wall to find a beer I want to try based on the markers. The way I'd see it working is to have every tap numbered and have a huge electronic board above the bar with an up to the minute list. Even without the technology, everyone has a printer in the back office and can update the list at least every other day.

Back