Star San 8 oz bottle question....

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ohill1981

Reaction score
I just bought the star san 8oz bottle and it has two top's on it. One top is for measuring out a 1/2oz -1/4oz of the solution but i can not seem to figure out how to use it ... Please excuse my stupidity and anyone who has used one of these bottles can you help me out ?

Sure, just remove the small cap (leave the big one on) , hold the bottle with the caps upright and gently squeeze. The liquid will rise up in the small chamber, stop when it gets to the 1/4 ounce mark and just pour that into a gallon of water. I use a spring water jug with a screw cap...then I put the cap on and shake it for a bit.

thanks alot! i was going to try and make a 5g batch of solution to get my bottles and siphon tubing sanitized . any idea how long they should sit in the solution?

If you haven't done so already, don't bother making 5 gallons of the stuff. It will last a while, but you don't need 5 gallons, you need maybe a gallon or two. Contract time required is something short like 30 seconds to a minute. Get yourself a spray bottle. Spray the solution into the neck of the bottle and swirl a bit. Spray it into the hoses and on the outside. If the stuff is clean to begin with, star san will work like magic.

I mix up a quart spray bottle at a time with 2 eye-droppersful (about 2ml) of concentrate.
If you use distilled water it will remain effective longer.

The liquid will rise up in the small chamber, stop when it gets to the 1/4 ounce mark and just pour that into a gallon of water.

Doesn't the 1/4oz measure go into 1.25 gals of water? I don't have the SS in front of me to read, but I think I worked out the math once.

And store that stuff upright! My bottle was sideways in my bag of goodies and the crappy caps leaked and the stuff made a huge mess and melted my nylon grain bag!

Other than that... works great! :)

And store that stuff upright! My bottle was sideways in my bag of goodies and the crappy caps leaked and the stuff made a huge mess and melted my nylon grain bag!

Other than that... works great! :)

FYI, soda bottle caps work great as a replacement. I broke both caps on my bottle of StarSan. Good product - crappy packaging.

Back