WOW - just took my mash PH for the 1st time

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
BUFFER 5.2, I use it all the time, enjoy.

Keg2- Oktoberfest (On tap)
Keg3- Christmas Spice
Keg4- Fire In The Hole
Keg5- AIR
Keg6- AIR
Keg7- AIR
Keg8- AIR

+1 on 5.2. It, along with altering my water profile have made a vast improvement in my beers.

Learn to get your Residual Alkalinity in order and you wont need 5.2. I used to use it but after using John Palmer spreed sheet I hit 5.3-5.4 each time in my mash. I have an almost new container of 5.2 someone can have if they pay the shipping.

And how do I get my Residual Alkalinity in order??? I can't get any chemical analyze on my water from the water people. I can only get what much BAD crap is NO in the water but nothing on what makes up the water.

Might be able to help.

Wis DnR holds all public water info in a database, a little hunting with give you your specs.

http://prodoasext.dnr.wi.gov/inter1/pws2$.startup

Put in Columbus , Municipal community
Find

Click on Columbus

From there scroll down to
Other (non-bacteriological) Samples (263 Rows)

Click that

Scroll to the most recently dated Inorganics file with a good number of results (your case 26) click on that,

There you go, all you need.

Note: it looks like you have two sources 200 & 4, so you might want to avg them if you only have one town storage tank. Or not

Hope that helps

james

I sent my water away for analysis and did all the minerals to get everything just right for ONE brew, then I went back to 5.2. I use 5.2 in the mash then add other minerals to the boil to make sure the flavor comes out right. This way I can mess with levels of things like Na, SO4, and Cl, etc without worrying about how it is going to affect the mash Ph. To me that's the easy and effective way.

Did you test your pH at room temp or mash temp? There's a pretty significant difference. 5.2 - 5.5 refers to pH at ~ room temp, IIRC (Palmer talks about it a bit).

I love the 5.2 buffer, it does exactly what people say and it's easy, but it might not be necessary for you.

Back