sanitization with UV?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

kissajew86

Reaction score
I was curious i have heard that milk has started using pasturization with UV light and that is having a longer shelf life than heat.....

is there any way this could be used with water sanatization?

or perhaps pasturizing beer at time of kegging?

Well you can purchase a UV system for you house well that will kill pretty much everything passing by it. For a whole house system there around $400CAN.

I guess it could work!! I know the in water well that have had bacteria (ie. E-coli and coliform) have shown Zero counts of the bacteria after the light was installed and that is will no work done to the well. The only thing you have to watch for is that the liquid must be able to allow the light to past through. A stout would not work due to the opage nature of the brew. An ale would probable be OK, but you would never really know for sure.

It is a good way to kill everything without changing the water chemistry completely. The City water Department uses a UV system on one of the wells here. It can handle about 750 gallon per minute, which may be a bit on the high side for home brewing.

IGOR

kissajew86 said:
or perhaps pasturizing beer at time of kegging?

It may work for the water, but the beer may get damaged by the UV light. The UV light may break down some of beer's components and cause a light-struck (skunk-like) flavor/aroma.

Kai

Kaiser said:
It may work for the water, but the beer may get damaged by the UV light. The UV light may break down some of beer's components and cause a light-struck (skunk-like) flavor/aroma.

Kai

That's exactly what I was thinking. You'd skunk your beer.. a blast from that machine and I bet your beer would taste like it was fresh out of a skunk's ass. I guess if you like heineken...

edited to say: but I'm no expert either... this advice is worth exactly what you paid for it.

Back