Brewtarget hop utilization

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dwhite60

Reaction score
Brewtarget's hop utilization calculation seems WAY LOW compared to either Brewers Friend or the Wort app I run on my tablet.

1 ounce of Fuggles pellets at 3.8 Alpha boiled for 1 hour in a 1.057 wort:
Per Brewers Friend 32.25 IBU
Per Wort app: 33.7 IBU
Brew Target : 22IBU

Anyone know if there is an adjustment for this in Brew Target? I'd be happy with an average of the three numbers. I know hop utilization is somewhat of a crap shoot but somewhat reliable numbers are helpful.

All the Best,
D. White

Missing a number, what's the post boil volume? I have to assume it's something like 2gallons?

Gravity entered should be the average between the pre boil and post boil gravity, volume should be the post boil volume after cooled to room temp.

Missing a number, what's the post boil volume? I have to assume it's something like 2gallons?

Gravity entered should be the average between the pre boil and post boil gravity, volume should be the post boil volume after cooled to room temp.

Good catch. Final volume was 2.5 gallons.

All the Best,
D. White

1 oz of 3.8 AA in 2.5G boiled for 60 minutes should provide anywhere from 24 to 27 IBU (Tinseth) depending on your boil off rate, kettle geometry, and whether 1.057 was the pre boil, post boil, or the average.

Could be they are using different methods of calculating the IBUs.

I get:
Garetz: 23.1
Rager: 36.2
Tinseth: 27.0

You may want to check that they are all set to the same method to insure an apples to apples comparison.

Back