JAOM question

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Ok so been brewing beer a couple years now. Though this is my first attempt at making mead so I have no experience to base my observations off of aside from what I've read in here. So I mixed up a batch of JAOM gravity came out to 1.097. It's been in the fermenter for 2.5days and has no visible signs if fermentation. From what I've read everyone else's seems to show signs within hours of pitching and I see no signs at all. I didn't proof my yeast and suppose I should have. My question now is. How much longer should I wait to see if it will kick up to fermentation. Should I go get a new pack of yeast and pitch that. Or should I toss in the 1/2 pack of S04 I have. (Made a one gallon batch.
Any help from those more experienced is greatly appreciated.
Thanks,
Gil

No, just wait it out, 72-96hrs is not uncommon. It won't be JAOM if you use anything other than bread yeast. Just make sure it is around 70F and you should have activity any time now. If you pop the bung off and place ear at the opening you may hear a fine sizzle, or do you see bubbles attached to the raisins?
If you repitch yeast, use fresh bread yeast.

saramc said:
No, just wait it out, 72-96hrs is not uncommon. It won't be JAOM if you use anything other than bread yeast. Just make sure it is around 70F and you should have activity any time now. If you pop the bung off and place ear at the opening you may hear a fine sizzle, or do you see bubbles attached to the raisins?
If you repitch yeast, use fresh bread yeast.

Thanks for the quick response. I'll give it some more time but will pick up another pack of yeast after I get done work tonight just in case.
Better to have it and not need it than to need it and not have it.

Edit: just checked and there are little bubbles surrounding the raisins. (Craisins actually, had them on hand)

Still ha no visible signs of fermentation this morning. I did add an additional tsp of bread yeast will give it a day or two and if it doesn't take off by then I will throw some ale yeast in. I Know that will make it NOT a JAOM but at this point I've had a gallon of sugar water just waiting for bacteria to come along and infect it for 4 days now and I really don't want to have to throw away the 3lbs of honey + all the other ingredients but the honey being the most costly is my main concern.

Off topic, but you shouldn't have used craisins. Too many preservatives that kill of yeast.

Didn't know that. I only used them cause I had them on hand. They did say no preservatives so I thought they'd have been ok to use.

There are sulfate free Craisins out there, oil free ones too. The amount of added sulfate would be negligible, so nothing to worry about. Label reading is invaluable.

Agreed. I've used craisins 3 different times and all worked well. Couldn't tell the difference.

Back