First brew!

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Scottie_T

Reaction score
Is today! Got a starter equipment kit for Christmas and picker up a Brewer's Best India Black Ale extract kit this week. Very excited!

Scottie_T said:
Is today! Got a starter equipment kit for Christmas and picker up a Brewer's Best India Black Ale extract kit this week. Very excited!

Welcome and good luck, you've no doubt read lots in HBT so enjoy the process. Remember to have a brew beside you at all times, you just for research. RDWHAHB SWMBO will become familiar to you soon.
Enjoy the craic

Have fun! If I remember correctly those Brewers Best instructions have you keep your beer in the primary for only a week and then bottle? If thats what it says, I would ignore that and keep it in the primary for at least two weeks preferably three weeks to ensure fermentation completes. Bottle when FG stabilizes.

Welcome to the addiction, leave your wallet at the door.....

Welcome to the pants party!! Feel free to brew with or without pants, why you ask? Because we can.

el_horno said:
Have fun! If I remember correctly those Brewers Best instructions have you keep your beer in the primary for only a week and then bottle? If thats what it says, I would ignore that and keep it in the primary for at least two weeks preferably three weeks to ensure fermentation completes. Bottle when FG stabilizes.

Welcome to the addiction, leave your wallet at the door.....

These procedures call for 4-6 days in the fermenter before dry hopping, then another 5-7 days before bottling. Alternative procedure calls for a secondary fermentation 5-7 days after boil and 2 weeks in the secondary before bottling.

A question that il be looking up elsewhere, but in case someone can reply faster than I can find it:

When adding water to the wort to being it up to volume for fermentation, should that water be sterilized? IE, do I need a second pot boiling water on the side?

Scottie, unless you know how to check the ph and adjust it from your tap water, just buy your water from the store in bottle form. Make sure it is spring water not distilled. The water in the jugs is sterile enough. Also if you sterilized your fermenter you should be fine.

General rule of thumb is if your tap water is good enough to drink, its good enough to brew with.

As far as the instructions are concerned I would still do 14 days in a primary, and just dryhop right in the primary for the last 5-7 days. you can secondary if you want to, but its not necessary.

Finished the brew day with an OG reading of 1.055. Today gives me a whole new level of understanding of the brewing process. Thanks to those who gave suggestions, and to my brother, the analytical chemist and season home brewer, who was on stand by.

Back