Forgot to sanitize bung

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

betterale

Reaction score
I forgot to sanitize my rubber bung is is going to introduce bacteria and kill me fermenting beer?

Probably not but I suggest taking it off and sanitizing it now rather then just leaving it on there.

Was it filthy? If it was "kitchen clean" you should be fine...you can still take it off and sanitize it if you want to.

The problem is its my only one and its in the middle of fermenting so should I take it off and wash it or something?

I used it for a fruit wine and I sanitized it for that but then just outfit on the fermenter for my beer but I didn't realize I forgot to sanitize it

I'd just pop it off, spray some sanitizer on in (star-san, iodophore) whatever you use and leave it be.. as long as it wasn't filthy to start with you should be fine.

So far since I'm fairly new to brewing beer I've only used cambden tablets and my beers and wines have been fine isn't here something i should use that is better? I'd hate to screw up a good brew due to poor care by my own part

Thanks I did what I could for what have lol my brews are my babies I cannot kill that because of my stupidity

Latest posts

Back