Bottling off tap????

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

SoCalBrewing

Reaction score
Can you take a freshly kegged beer (or apfelwein), and put it into bottles?

Im thinking three options:

a) After carbinization, taking a cold bottle and filling it, then capping it.

b) Before carbed, pumping it into bottle with some sugar tabs, then capping.

c) Spending the money (to be read as wasting money) on a counter-pressure bottle filler.

Thanks,
John

Kind of answered you own question.

Beer Gun is also a "C" option.

If you do "A", fill veerrry slowly. And get a long tube that reaches the bottom of the bottle.
It's a good idea to have cold bottles for a Beer Gun or a CPBF.

I fill mine with a picnic tap. I carbonate the beer normally, then crank the pressure down to about 2 psi. I've got 6' of 3/16 line on the cobra tap. I put the bottles in the freezer, get them nice and cold after washing them, then I take em out, dump some star san in them and shake them for 30 seconds, dump the star san, and very slowly tip and fill the bottle from the cobra tap. Works like a charm.

Also as an FYI, a bottling wand fits perfectly inside a picnic tap so you can fill from the bottom up using the tap. We filled 18 cases at Stix Brewery a few weeks ago using this method and it worked great.

I just built a Counter Pressure filler and have enough stainless steel to make another one. If you want I'll build one for you. The cost should be somewhere between $40-50. Plus you're practically down the street so there would be no shipping.

BigKahuna said:
It's worth mentioning...and raising an old thread. I just did it, and BierMunchers counter pressure beer gun works great, and cost about $3.00
https://www.homebrewtalk.com/showthread.php?t=24678

I finally built the BMBF a couple weeks ago and it worked like a champ! It's easy to make and easy to use. I would recommend going that route.

Back