Cheap pump and FDA approved 12v 100c

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
The pump may not rotate at all or could eventually overheat.

If it's a 12v pump, a 5v power supply is not what you're looking for.

Thanks for the feedback.

What does an output of +5V mean in the pic below?

Also, I'm looking at getting an adjustable ac/dc adapter. Does one adjust the amperage or voltage to adjust the pump flow?

B12ACF25-50C4-4E11-8564-0D30311BAD42-6683-0000059C26B44A01_zps0b3b1764.jpg

Thanks for the feedback.

Also, I'm looking at getting an adjustable ac/dc adapter. Does one adjust the amperage or voltage to adjust the pump flow?

/QUOTE]

Just what it says 5 volts. You need 12 volts. To control the flow you put a ball valve on the discharge side of the pump. If you start fooling with the voltage you are going to burn out the pump

Thanks for the feedback.

/QUOTE]

Just what it says 5 volts. You need 12 volts. To control the flow you put a ball valve on the discharge side of the pump. If you start fooling with the voltage you are going to burn out the pump

I just thought the "+" was odd.

I guess I didn't phrase my last question well. I understand that the flow is controlled by using a ball valve. What I was trying to ask was if the pumping volume or rate is a function of voltage or amperage.

I'm using the pump right now. It's running like a champ using a 12v/.6 amp power supply. Power supply is getting a little warm as I've been running the pump for an hour straight now, but it's not too hot to hold your hand on it.

Does anyone know what the impeller is made out of? I've heard that youre not supposed to use PBW on Teflon. I'm just thinking if how I'm going to clean this thing.

I use this for My HLT. Work well, no problems.
.http://www.amazon.com/dp/B007XZAJ3I/?tag=skimlinks_replacement-20

The only issue I have with it , there is no barb on outlet side ,makes it tricky to get a good fit to the outlet tubing. Epoxied a piece of pvc over it.
Look for power supplies at junk stores, thrift stores ,pawn shops, Goodwill, etc.
About all of them will have box of wall chargers. I get mine for 2 bucks apiece at a store that sells used stuff, she must have 200 of these things in a box

Last edited by a moderator:
I'm looking at this little pump - http://www.amazon.com/dp/B00H3V4NY8/?tag=skimlinks_replacement-20

Can some of you folks that have set these up provide photos/video/links to the power source you used?

I would not recommend that pump, while it is foodgrade it is only rated up to 60C (140F) which isnt even hot enough for mash temps. Transfering from your mash to boil might be ok as its close to the temp and there are margins of safety, however you would not even be able to consider using it for recirc or boil stuff.

after reading this thread, I ordered this from ebay. it will take a couple of weeks to come in but will let you know how it works once it arrives! They also have two other models (one weaker, one stronger).

6m/19ft Head 12V Solar Hot Water Pump Circulation Food Grade 212° F w/ Coupler
http://www.ebay.com/itm/361090615571

after reading this thread, I ordered this from ebay. it will take a couple of weeks to come in but will let you know how it works once it arrives! They also have two other models (one weaker, one stronger).

6m/19ft Head 12V Solar Hot Water Pump Circulation Food Grade 212° F w/ Coupler
http://www.ebay.com/itm/361090615571

I use five of these pump only I own the ones without the powerbuck/boost power box on the cord.... I own both 12v and 24v versions which can be bought for under $20 with shipping on eBay. I have bought each on from a different seller but they all have the same components and are made of food grad pps with a encased magnet coated in the samepps material. I've been using them over a year and they work well

I use five of these pump only I own the ones without the powerbuck/boost power box on the cord.... I own both 12v and 24v versions which can be bought for under $20 with shipping on eBay. I have bought each on from a different seller but they all have the same components and are made of food grad pps with a encased magnet coated in the samepps material. I've been using them over a year and they work well
What are the power requirements and how do you power this pump?

What are the power requirements and how do you power this pump?

12v DC for the 12v version and 24v for the 24v version.... I recommend a 1amp or higher power supply but .5 amps and .8 amps are the manufacturers specs respectively. I bought a 12v 3amp supply for $8 shipped and a 7 amp 24v supply for $15 that I now use with my newer 24v versions which seem to be about 30% stronger as far as flow. I use $6 pwm speed controllers instead of ballvalves to control flow but a ball valve would work.

I have one of the smaller pumps. It's basically garbage for brewing. It gets stuck up with grain super easily, it's a pain to keep lines on, and doesn't pump much volume. Save your money.

I have one of the smaller pumps. It's basically garbage for brewing. It gets stuck up with grain super easily, it's a pain to keep lines on, and doesn't pump much volume. Save your money.

Your opinion...
But the fact is they do not plug as long as you use good filtration in your mash tun to keep the solids out of your pump...(not rocket science here).
I have been using them for over a year with over 40 all grain brew sessions on them and never a problem.

And answer me this. Why would you ever need more than 3 gallons per minute flow? Are you in some sort of speed brewing contest?
Seriously though the only possible advantage I could see to a bigger pump is whirlpooling... Otherwise I don't even need to run them at full speed in fact I run them at half speed or less when sparging of pushing wort through my plate chiller... And they work better with a rims tube or herms at lower flow speeds to give the rims more time to raise temps..
I look at you little coffee maker rims tube linked on your signature and can't help but laugh because to think these 2 or 3 gallon per minute pumps are too slow but those are fine? Then again you never stated which small pump your using so..

Why would you ever need more than 3 gallons per minute flow? Are you in some sort of speed brewing contest?
This question illustrates that you and I aren't talking about the same pump. Mine is the second one shown on the first page. Here is the amazon link. If my pump gave me 3 gal/min I would be happier, but it doesn't even do 1 gal. Some reasons why you would need more than 3 gal/min are: recirculating wort chiller water, or keg washing, or a higher lift, or if you were brewing 10,15,20 gallon batches.

I look at you little coffee maker rims tube linked on your signature and can't help but laugh because to think these 2 or 3 gallon per minute pumps are too slow but those are fine? Then again you never stated which small pump your using so..
I'm not against cheap in either meaning of the word, provided it gets the job done. The pump that I have doesn't do any of the jobs that I bought it for. It's as simple as that.

This question illustrates that you and I aren't talking about the same pump. Mine is the second one shown on the first page. Here is the amazon link. If my pump gave me 3 gal/min I would be happier, but it doesn't even do 1 gal. Some reasons why you would need more than 3 gal/min are: recirculating wort chiller water, or keg washing, or a higher lift, or if you were brewing 10,15,20 gallon batches.

I'm not against cheap in either meaning of the word, provided it gets the job done. The pump that I have doesn't do any of the jobs that I bought it for. It's as simple as that.

You never stated which pump you were talking about so one would easily assume and mistake your comments to be a general assumption for all of the smaller DC pumps...

I brew 10 gallon batches and I see no reason the size makes a different, also most people (I believe use tap pressure to push cold water through their chiller but even so 3gallon per minute is more flow than I use with mine due to ground water temps in the winter and spring... I use the pump to push wort through it thought at a slow rate usually between 1-2 gallons per minute just to keep the foam down.
I guess the difference here is I have first hand experience with these pumps vs just assuming with experience based off of a tiny pump with less that 1 gallon per minute... Huge difference here in pumps.

Curious on the longevity you are all getting out of these small pumps? It's been a couple years since I started the thread.

I bought two of these pumps but opted for the version with the power box because I wanted the extra power. My experience was terrible with both and I have to assume it was due to the power box given that everyone else seems to have had good luck. The first pump only ran intermittently and sometimes would turn on but others wouldn't at all.

The second which I ordered as a backup never worked. It would make noise but not pump. I took the cover off and it was only vibrating, not spinning. If I gave it a push start it would go, but there's no way to do that once put back together.

I have first hand experience with these pumps vs just assuming with experience based off of a tiny pump with less that 1 gallon per minute... Huge difference here in pumps.

Hi,
i'm considering on buying the pump you mentioned for a Braumeister inspired rig.
i'm guessing your familiar with it, but my intention is to recirculate wort from a big pot(45liters) into a small pot(20liters) full of malt, that way the wort goes through the grains, overflowing and falling into the bigger pot again. (the small pot is in the bigger one)

anyway...
my question is if you think that this pump is going to get the job done.
i'm kinda skeptical on buying such a tiny pump, to so this.
http://www.ebay.com/itm/361090615571?afsrc=1&rmvSB=true

maybe this one with bigger flow rate:
http://www.ebay.com/itm/HI-Quality-...90615571&tpos=top&ttype=price&talgo=undefined

Thanks alot.

Hi,
i'm considering on buying the pump you mentioned for a Braumeister inspired rig.
i'm guessing your familiar with it, but my intention is to recirculate wort from a big pot(45liters) into a small pot(20liters) full of malt, that way the wort goes through the grains, overflowing and falling into the bigger pot again. (the small pot is in the bigger one)

anyway...
my question is if you think that this pump is going to get the job done.
i'm kinda skeptical on buying such a tiny pump, to so this.
http://www.ebay.com/itm/361090615571?afsrc=1&rmvSB=true

maybe this one with bigger flow rate:
http://www.ebay.com/itm/HI-Quality-...90615571&tpos=top&ttype=price&talgo=undefined

Thanks alot.

The two pumps you linked are both 12v pumps... if you want the stronger pump you should use the 24v version which is more powerful and has a higher flow. this is what I use.

Curious on the longevity you are all getting out of these small pumps? It's been a couple years since I started the thread.

I had a bad experience with the two pumps I mentioned in earlier posts. I splurged on a marsh pump and have been extremely happy with it.

I have 6 of them and have over 50 brew sessions plus hours of recirculating pbw through my setup with them for a couple years.... Mine all work fine but I took the precautions such as good filtering to prevent sucking up grain into the pump or restricting flow too much and causing cavitation which also ruins any pump.

Back