Straining

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

All4meGROG

Reaction score
Who here strains their hop and trub gunk after boiling and transferring into primairy? The guy at the brew store recommends pouring all that stuff into primairy and leaving it behind when siphoning to secondary or bottling. Says all that stuff in primairy is good for flavor.

Thoughts?

You'd be fine leaving it - but I strain it as best I can. Plus is that it aerates the wort nicely...

I use this false bottom in my kettle:

Underside.jpg

Installed.jpg

I've tried separating the wort from the trub and I've also just dumped and I can't tell any difference in the flavor but I can tell the difference in the quantity of beer produced when I try to leave the trub behind in the boil kettle. Since it seems to all settle out in the fermenter anyway, I just dump it all in anymore and get more beer for my effort.

I don't notice any difference. I do usually strain out hops because I often harvest the yeast, and straining reduces the slurry. I still get lots going into t he fermenter.

I don't strain my wort, and never have. But recently, I've had some issues with leaf hops clogging up my new pump, so I'm starting to use a hops spider for leaf hops only. The rest, I don't care about.

I go low tech. I throw a clean stainless colander in the last 10 mins of the boil then zip tie the handles of the colander to the primary bucket handle to secure it for 2 handed pouring. I have done this since batch one so I can't personally attest to trub effect on fermentation....but everything I have read says that a small amount of trub provides for better yeast performance while excessive trub can create a nutritional imbalance for yeast over a long period of time and produce off flavors.

I strain it into the fermenter not just to get less gunk in it,but to aerate the wort & top off water real well. then stir roughly for 5 minutes straight. Less trub compacted on the bottom means more clear beer racking to my bottling bucket.

i've tried separating the wort from the trub and i've also just dumped and i can't tell any difference in the flavor but i can tell the difference in the quantity of beer produced when i try to leave the trub behind in the boil kettle. Since it seems to all settle out in the fermenter anyway, i just dump it all in anymore and get more beer for my effort.

+1

Back