Foamy Goodness

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Petho

Reaction score
First time kegger here. I have a 3 gallon keg, 5 pound bottle, 35 degree keggerator and a party tap. I bought this kegging kit from the local HBS and they assured me that the tubing length and diam is correct.
I carbed up at 30psi for 48 hours then dropped the pressure down to 8psi. My beer comes out very foamy however the foam settles into beer after about 3 minutes of sitting out.
Any thoughts about this? The Chocolate Oatmeal Stout beer is delicious after 2 days and it will only get better.

Lines not long enough or the beer is over carbed would be my 2 guesses. I never carb that fast but many have success doing so. How long are the lines and what diameter? Also try releasing most of the pressure and try to pour a beer. If its still foamy it may be over carbed.

The output line is 5' at 3/16 ID. I did release the head pressure too.

If you keep the keg at serving pressure, it will be better next week about this time. And even better the week after that...

Cheers!

try dropping the serving pressure even lower ta like 4... drop head pressure again and try to pour right away.. i serve perfect pours out of a foot long party tap but once the pouring stops the head pressure will rise to equilibrum again...

My guess is the beer is overcarbed. I don't burst carb very often, but the times I have it took between 36 and 48 hrs at 30 psi and 40F to carb 5 gal to 2.4 vol. Lower temps would mean faster carbing, and 3 gal probably carbs faster than 5. I would suggest taking it off the gas completely and venting every time you think about it for a day or two, and then taking a sample to see where you're at. It is very easy to overcarb using burst carb methods, and fixing an overcarbed beer is a PITA.

I think I did overcarb. I walked down to serving pressure by using the valve and it pours nicely now. I think there is some science to kegging that I have not quite mastered yet but it still beats bottling!

Just Google a carbonation psi chart and do a set and forget, it is really a can't miss in that regard. If you still get foam after that you need longer lines or the "mixer sticks" from McMaster Carr.

Latest posts

Back