Group Buy: Accuflex Bev-Seal Ultra barrier line

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

outside92129

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
a group buy is on, PM me with desired quantity if you want in. Pricing posted on tuesday.

http://kuriyama.thomasnet.com/viewi...es-235-tubing?&plpver=1004&bc=3001296|3001305

Price will be your fraction of the total + $10 for USPS shipping from my house to you.

I'm assuming everyone wants 3/16". Let me know otherwise.

***************** EDIT 8/25/2011 *****************
Notes for future group buying of bev-seal (lessons for other group buys too). I edited the original post instead of putting it at the end to make it easier to find.

The west coast distributor for bev seal does not carry nor will they special order the 3/16 line, they'll only sell the 1/4". However the mid-west distributor has no problems shipping anywhere in the country. Jim is a very easy to deal with and i was happy to work with him:

Jim Sonin
APEX Beverage Equipment Distribution Group, LLC
Phone: 877-901-2739 (APEX)

As you know the line comes in 1000' spools. Drop shipping to California via UPS in the summer of 2011 was $40 for 2 rolls bundled together, and $30 for 1 roll. Accuflex only bundles up to 2 rolls per shipment, so buying an odd number like 5 spools would be $110 shipping. Line cost was approx $157 and it took about a week from order placement to arrival.

Without too much effort i could get 100' into a medium USPS flat rate box, 150 and 200 into a large flat rate, and 250 was best to fit into a large game-box flat rate (same price but you have to special order the boxes from USPS). 50ft will just barely fit into the USPS flat rate envelope but that takes a lot of time/effort. The rough breakdown of orders was:
50ft - 2%
100ft - 66%
150ft - 15%
200ft - 15%
250ft - 2%

For group line orders that have multiple boxes it's not too difficult to sell every last bit. You just have to juggle folks (and their various quantities) around into various boxes until each box has an exact 1000' sold. The line is length marked so counting it off isn't too bad.

Paypal worked reasonably well for the group buy, some people haven't used it in a while or were new to it so payment took a little longer. However after the groupbuy was completed i got some nasty e-mails from paypal saying my account would be disabled if i continued to use my account for business purposes. I asked folks in the buy to send the money as a gift so save money, 85% did so. If i had to do it again i'd do it as a paypal "good/services" and increase the price by ~3-4% so i wouldn't get stuck paying the commissions and also because of the paypal issues.

The HomeBrewTalk bunch are a good group of folks to work with. A few even chipped in to help me get SWMBO some flowers, 7 boxes of line took quite a bit of space for a week or so. Thanks guy, i surprised her at work with them! And out of fifty-something people in the group buy only 1 person flaked, but since this line is seriously hot stuff i was able to unload it quickly.

Thanks again ya'll!

approx $0.20/ft + $10 for shipping, comes in 1000ft rolls for 3/16".

So obviously no buy if we're short, but if we get 1300' worth of buyers i'll buy 1 roll and the first 1000' of orders get fulfilled. So get your order in now to secure your buy!

Outside - I am down PM sent -

100 feet 3/16
100 feet 1/4 '' (if there is interest)

(Updated)

Put me in for 100' if this goes through in the next month or 2. Any special tools required for cutting due to the glass lining?

+1

also, do they post resistance rating?

I was thinking that I might be able to use 3/16 on my tower taps if the resistance is that much less. Now i use 15ft of 1/4 bevlex

I got all the posts above, that's good enough. Also a few PM's, we're almost at 1000' sold of 3/16 so it's a done deal on one roll so far.

There's some interest in 1/4, but only CidahMastah is committing to 100 though. I'll keep a 2nd list just in case.

I'm thinking of putting in the order July 29 to give everyone time to read/reply and will post to this thread everyone who's in. I should be able to have the tubing to everyone by the end of aug, shooting for sooner of course.

I'm slightly concerned about some old postings about the 3/16 not being manufactured even though it is listed on the mfg website. The standard distributor (Manitowoc) won't sell it, but Accuflex/Kuriyama then pointed me to APEX and they say they can get it. Worst case is that we're out nothing except the time to do these postings.

-ls

Hopefully they can get it but, if in the case that they can't would people be willing to bump up to 1/4'' line? To add resistance you could use the twizzle sticks on mcmaster.

I am really looking forward to this line, been hearing a lot about it, just good luck this buy started up when it did.

Thanks for getting this off the ground outside!

However I think I just found out where i will get my 1/4 inch if there isn't enough interest in a bulk roll!

+1

also, do they post resistance rating?

I was thinking that I might be able to use 3/16 on my tower taps if the resistance is that much less. Now i use 15ft of 1/4 bevlex

It cuts just like poly tubing, so you can use pretty much anything to cut it. I'm not sure what the actual resistance is, but to give you guys an idea I went from 12' of vinyl to 18' of bev-seal per faucet (both 3/16" ID). I think my vinyl may have been lower than average resistance to start with though, because all the calculators said I should have been using ~8' instead of 12'. Hope this is helpful for those trying to figure out how much they need.

And FWIW I love this stuff. No plastic off flavors at all (the reason I switched), and I've even used a line for rootbeer, flushed with hot oxiclean, rinsed with water, and then used for a cider without any flavor contamination at all. Try doing that with vinyl. My only complaint is that it's a royal PITA to get it onto a 1/4" hose barb, which is the smallest MFL tailpiece I could find.

So will normal 12 psi beer need 8 feet of line? Perhaps soda would need 25 feet?

I'll take 100 feet. Thanks for organzing this. Do you need payment in advance?

Not sure what you are asking here.

if the line is .45 line resistance for the 1/4 inch, likely the 3/16'' has less resistance as well.

i.e. you need more footage of this line vs. regular beer line of the same dimensions. So if you have 8 ft with bevlex, you might need say 12 feet of this stuff (ball park).

Edit
Maybe use 2-2.25 for line resistance on 3/16 instead of the typical 2.7-3 line resistance to ball park it.

So will normal 12 psi beer need 8 feet of line? Perhaps soda would need 25 feet?

I'll take 100 feet. Thanks for organzing this. Do you need payment in advance?

Those are pretty normal lengths for people using vinyl lines. The barrier line has less resistance so you'll likely need more, probably close to double those lengths. My keezer is kept at ~38F, and I push my beers at 11psi using 18' of barrier line, and sodas at 25psi using 40'. The soda line could probably benefit from being a little longer, but it was the length I had left, and I rarely have soda on tap so it doesn't matter much to me. You can also use the epoxy mixer sticks in the diptube to increase resistance so that you can use shorter lines.

You can also use the epoxy mixer sticks in the diptube to increase resistance so that you can use shorter lines.

I just ordered a bunch of those from mcmaster - you have any idea about how much resistance they add?

Probably like most kegging questions... it doesn't really matter. You simply need to ball park it then do some trial and error.

It cuts just like poly tubing, so you can use pretty much anything to cut it. I'm not sure what the actual resistance is, but to give you guys an idea I went from 12' of vinyl to 18' of bev-seal per faucet (both 3/16" ID). I think my vinyl may have been lower than average resistance to start with though, because all the calculators said I should have been using ~8' instead of 12'. Hope this is helpful for those trying to figure out how much they need.

And FWIW I love this stuff. No plastic off flavors at all (the reason I switched), and I've even used a line for rootbeer, flushed with hot oxiclean, rinsed with water, and then used for a cider without any flavor contamination at all. Try doing that with vinyl. My only complaint is that it's a royal PITA to get it onto a 1/4" hose barb, which is the smallest MFL tailpiece I could find.

I was refering back to this quote when the poster referred to using 8 ft instead of 12 ft for his calculations.

I just ordered a bunch of those from mcmaster - you have any idea about how much resistance they add?

Probably like most kegging questions... it doesn't really matter. You simply need to ball park it then do some trial and error.

Not sure, as I've never used them myself. If you run a search and read what others have experienced using them I'm sure you could get a pretty close estimate.

I was refering back to this quote when the poster referred to using 8 ft instead of 12 ft for his calculations.

That was my post, and you're misreading it. I used to use 12' of line per tap when I was using vinyl lines, even though the calculator told me I only needed 8'. This is partially due to the fact that not all vinyl line has the same resistance. When I switched to barrier lines, I needed 18' of line per tap. What I was trying to get across, is that even though I only needed to increase my line length by 1.5x when switching to barrier line, it's likely that many people will need to increase it by 2x or more.

I'm slightly concerned about some old postings about the 3/16 not being manufactured even though it is listed on the mfg website. The standard distributor (Manitowoc) won't sell it, but Accuflex/Kuriyama then pointed me to APEX and they say they can get it. Worst case is that we're out nothing except the time to do these postings.

-ls

outside

https://www.homebrewtalk.com/f35/people-happy-their-bevlex-200-a-217400/

FYI - check out post #4

looks like for sure they make and sell the 3/16 in 1000' rolls only. If we can't get a hook up we should check in with "heynopie" and see who they bought from.

JuanMoore

thanks - I wish I could say... I have bevlex @ X feet which = X Resistance,... then figure it out exactly for the replacement line and cut. But owning and using the keg system for a while makes me realize that is just crazy talk.

i.e. cut it long

Hi All- sorry about not responding individually but if you've posted and/or sent me a PM i have you down. I'll post everyone's name and quanity on the 28th to confirm and will place the order on the 29th.

So far we have 3400 feet committed for the 3/16. Sorry Cidahmastah but you're the only one who wants 1/4. I'll order you 1000' if you want though : )

I want to place the order before asking folks to pony up. It does put me at a small risk but i'd rather do that than have everyone pay and then finding out there's an issue w/ getting the 3/16.

Hi All- sorry about not responding individually but if you've posted and/or sent me a PM i have you down. I'll post everyone's name and quanity on the 28th to confirm and will place the order on the 29th.

So far we have 3400 feet committed for the 3/16. Sorry Cidahmastah but you're the only one who wants 1/4. I'll order you 1000' if you want though : )

I want to place the order before asking folks to pony up. It does put me at a small risk but i'd rather do that than have everyone pay and then finding out there's an issue w/ getting the 3/16.

Sounds good.

er ... em... think I will pass on the 1000' of 1/4 :D - chi company here I come.

Let us know about payment and hopefully folks will offer you the same courtesy you are offering us.

Thanks!

I ran one of the other group buys and helped acquire the spools for the other ones. outside, just PMed you.

You can count me in for 100' of 3/16. I sent you a PM as well. Thanks again for setting this up!

I would like to add another 100 feet to my buy if possible (my buddy wants some).

If it works out, please put me down for 200ft of the 3/16 total instead of the original 100.

Thanks!

Back