My Brew Sculpture

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Hockyplr

Reaction score
After trolling through the forums repeatedly and drooling over everyone's Brew Sculpture I decided that I needed one myself as I was tired of using unstable card tables and anything else I could get my hands on.

I am by no means an expert but I got some great ideas from everyone on this forum.

The price of angle iron and the fact that I do not know how to weld pretty much eliminated that idea. So I decided to build one out of wood because it would fit into how much I could currently afford and it was something I could do by myself.

IMAG0245.jpg

IMAG0246.jpg

IMAG0248.jpg

IMAG0250.jpg

IMAG0252.jpg

IMAG0253.jpg

IMAG0254.jpg

IMAG02582.jpg

IMAG0259.jpg

IMAG0260.jpg

This project took about 8 hours to complete, with a few trips to the big box hardware store. It also went through a few changes as I was building it. Initially the top was going to have a solid plywood base, but it placed by burner too high, and as I am in the Northwest we tend to get a lot of rain. I didn't want to catch my house on fire or discolor my garage door or ceiling, so I eliminated it. Which brought an all new challenge as it took away my middle "shelf" for storage. I then got the idea of building a drop down shelf/table. This was created using several hinges and then 3 magnetic catches to lock it into place when stored.

I am going to brew on it a few times before I add any plumbing or other features, to really get a feel for what I want to improve. I will post some update pictures as I get more added.

I want to thank the entire community for posting their ideas and allowing others to view and take from them when they finally decide to go forward and build their own gear. These forums were definitely my inspiration!

Thank you!

Man there was a guy posting earlier today about a 3 tier stand using a pump. I suggested a 2 tier made out of wood like I have seen around here. This is what the guy needs to build. Good work.

Thanks guys!

My goal is to get a second burner and 15 gallon pot. If I get that then I will be pretty happy with the setup I designed I think. If not, then I think a March pump will be in my future.

That looks great. I'm gonna bookmark this thread and use your design as a foundation for my build. Thanks.

Feel free to ask me any questions that will help you in your build. The nice thing about wood is it is easy to change, and believe me I made a few changes during the construction.

How does the legs for the shelf work? Do you have a pic from the side of them showing the hinge? It just does not seem like they could be hinged the way they look in the picture when the shelf is stowed.

Ignore the metal piece between the two 2x4's, I used my large T square to prop it in a semi open position so I could get a decent picture from the side and of the hinges.

Basically I just reversed the hinges so that gravity would open the hinges and the legs would "drop open" when the table was lowered.

IMAG0264.jpg

Any updated photos? How's she working out for ya? I'm still looking ahead to mine, hopefully this summer. Your rig and another one on this board are gonna meet in the middle to make my own. Can't wait.

Sorry didn't see the post until today. The rig has worked out great! U have brewed at least 60 gallons since brewing it. Currently have 55 gallons kegged.

What sort of pics you want? A brew day?

How does wood work as far as smells are concerned?
I am getting ready to start AG brewing in the garage that came with my SWMBO, but we don't seem to be able to agree on a "sculpture" rig.
My background is in wood and I am having a hard time finding anybody local to give me a decent price for welding up a metal tree for me. SWMBO is afraid of wood because of its odor-holding properties.
I can't imagine that you are sloshing your wort all over the place, but brewing without pumps can be a messy business at times.
I would rather bang together something like your beauty than pay one of the local robber barons for a metal tree, but She Must Be Obeyed. ;)
Can you offer any sage advice that I can pass along?

I have spilled some here and there. I wipe it up and move on. I do not smell any odor whatsoever. And like I said I have brewed a ton on it. In fact might be doing a batch today.

My swmbo was ok with a metal stand but loved the price of the wood. One day I am sure I will upgrade but this was a great starting point!

I see Fire and Flames coming soon,,,,,Please be carefull
I brew on stainless and Iron and it gets hotter that hell,,,and really hot at 90 min boils and 3 stage mashings
Not trying to burst your set up but I know what I have been thought with 13 gallons of boiling wort rolling down on YA

Back