Be gentle its my first time

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

pendries

Reaction score
I brewed my first AG this past weekend.SWMBO came home last week from the hairdresser with a 50 lb bag of barley "for chicken feed". It turned out to be Breiss 2 row brewers pre crushed. This spurred a trip to LHBS and frantic equipment manufacturing day Sat. I had only done extract/partial up to this point.This forum has been instrumental.I built Lauter/tun and wort chiller. Brew day was Sunday,all went well.I was relatively short on wort, Lots of suspended hops on bottom of brewpot, I did not add this to primary. I did top off with boiled water cold to 175degrees (Mistake?). I had purchased a Smack pack but had not made a starter,I had done enough new stuff for one day. I pitched a dry yeast right onto the wort. Monday morning the lid blew off Primary(Second time for me).Next step is blowoff tube!If this beer turns out I will be in Beer heaven. I have never been concerned with the particulars I hear of in this forum. I have refused to purchase a hydrometer so far. Im gonna drink it regardless of how it turns out. Any other hillbilly brewers out there?

Sounds like you made beer to me.

Keep your fingers crossed and your equipment sanitary and I forsee drinking in your future.

Cheers,

knewshound

Pendries,

Sounds like a great time! Be sure to let ueveryone know how it turns out.

I do sanitize thoroughly but I do brew in a barn! Lots of space, peace and quite.I,ve got 40 pounds of grain left with another 250 on order. I'm thinking a Wee heavy. Got any simple recipes?

pendries said:
I do sanitize thoroughly but I do brew in a barn! Lots of space, peace and quite.I,ve got 40 pounds of grain left with another 250 on order. I'm thinking a Wee heavy. Got any simple recipes?
250 Precrushed again? Might not stay fresh, time for a mill with that hydrometer as well :mug:

If it turns out good, I would suggest at least ziplocking the stuff into gallon bags and into the freezer. Crushed grain loses the best part of its profile in a short amount of time. If it does get sufficiently oxidized though, there's always the chickens!

zoebisch01 said:
Crushed grain loses the best part of its profile in a short amount of time.

Recent posts indicate that this might not be true. There's no reason not to store it properly, but the grain seems to be good for at least a few years under reasonable conditions.

Mikey said:
Recent posts indicate that this might not be true. There's no reason not to store it properly, but the grain seems to be good for at least a few years under reasonable conditions.

I am not saying you will have terrible beer. But what I am saying, having worked in the food industry for a good portion of my life, is that food suffers from oxidation. It is a fact. (Not trying to be smart here, please don't take it that way). You will lose characteristics from the original whole grain state and will also take on stale flavors. It does of course depend on how you store things and sure it may last a while and be ok. Personally, why mess with old grain. If it were whole grain I would be much less concerned.

I understand the grain may become stale. The grain is factory sealed in plastic lined paper bags.It sure smells good! Also understand that my tastebuds are not nearly as sensitive as many others seem to be. Probably from years of drinking store bought. Don't get me wrong I appreciate a good beer but they are all pretty good to me! I always say "I've never met a beer I didn't like".

pendries said:
I understand the grain may become stale. The grain is factory sealed in plastic lined paper bags.It sure smells good! Also understand that my tastebuds are not nearly as sensitive as many others seem to be. Probably from years of drinking store bought. Don't get me wrong I appreciate a good beer but they are all pretty good to me! I always say "I've never met a beer I didn't like".

I think in general, a fairly good homebrewer could easily turn out something that tops much of what is on the market even with older grains. I have a very serious philosophy about food in general and the freshness of the base ingredients. (This is why I am an avid gardener, bake my own bread...etc). Great to hear that it is already sealed up, keep it cool. You certainly scored a good deal.

stuff005.jpg

67coupe390 said:
You might be a red neck if...you brew your own beer!!!!
...in a barn from which you used chicken feed... (lol)

It is all good. I am a RN at heart!! Get R Dun!

- WW

SWMBO came home last week from the hairdresser with a 50 lb bag of barley "for chicken feed".

i'm just wondering what kind of salon does hair and sells grain

smogman said:
P.S. Were all Hillbilly Brewers!!!!You made beer no matter how good it is you'll drink it , Right?:mug:

My buddy from Tennessee just dumped out a whole batch! He thought it tasted or smelled bad. And the kid is 'pert near' broke. He's constantly worried about his brew. I think he's losing his accent too! Preciate ya!

Back