If you have to miss your mash temperature, what....

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Depends on what I'm brewing.

Made an English Mild a few weeks ago...let me just say that you are already mashing at the high end of the spectrum. Going over that is asking for trouble, so I'd rather miss low.

Saison? I typically do long mashes toward the bottom of the spectrum. If I'm over by a degree or two, I might not attenuate quite as much, but it's easy to just leave the mash tun open a bit and stir it some until the temp gets into the right range.

I'd rather hit a few degrees higher than lower because it's easy to toss a few ice cubes in the mash to equalize the temperature out quickly if you're a bit high...but if you're too low, you've got to add more hot strike water.

I prefer to be a little high. If it is, then I just scoop up mash in a quart jug and drop it back in from a height, stir and keep repeating until it is dead on temp. It usually takes no more than two minutes.

I prefer to be a little high. If it is, then I just scoop up mash in a quart jug and drop it back in from a height, stir and keep repeating until it is dead on temp. It usually takes no more than two minutes.

I prefer to be a little high, too. Sometimes really, really high!:D

To high, its easier to lower it with a couple of ice cubes or a min. or two of stirring.

Latest posts

Back