recipie help

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

timm

Reaction score
I am about to start my second batch of homebrew and want to make a dark beer and need some suggestions as to how to go about doing this. I'm sure your wondering why the hell is this brew noob asking this instead of searching it. well I cant use any ingridients that contain gluten. the recipie I used to make my first batch, which was a blonde beer, is as follows:

Ingredients for 5 Gallons:

3 lbs. malted buckwheat (recipe follows)
1 cup corn sugar
1 oz. Saaz hops
2 oz. Hallertauer Hersbrucker hops
6 lb. rice syrup *
1 pkg. ale yeast (EDME) **

I was thinking I might toast teh buckwheat and brown it quite a bit more this time to give the beer a dark colour. was also thinking of adding 1 lb of honey. what suggestions would you have as to giving this more the tatse of a darker beer if you know what I mean. are their specific hops that are commonly used in darker beers? basically id like a 2nd beer that had a different taste as well as a different
colour.

thanks in advance.

Sorry, It's just not going to taste like beer without malted barley, but the buckwheat might be interesting. Toasting any grain will cause toased flavors associated with a dunkel or the like, so you should be accurate there. Buckwheat has some sugars (3g/1cup flour), but how are you going to convert them? What was the gravity of the blonde with only 1 cup of 100% fermentable dextrose?

i would have thought the same thing, that it wouldnt have tasted like beer. But, having completed and sampled the first batch with friends who had their case of molson canadian with them.. one tasted like a watery commercial beer (the molson product), adn one tasted like a stronger fully bodied beer (the one made with the recipie above). so now i want to alter that recepie to make a dark beer.

Cool, then by all means toast the buckwheat and proceed as normal. Do you steep the grains in the boil, or add flour?

Sounds interesting - I'll have to toss some buckwheat in my next pale ale.

after iv dried/toasted the buckwheat, I crush it and put it in a grain bag, then slowly bring water to a boil (2 hrs). mostly for colour/flavour. sugar comes from teh rice syrup

iv tried that one and a couple of hte other gluten free beers out there. but unfortunately, they taste like all the regular commercial beers out there (water) but are like 3 times the price. thats why im making my own. im just trying to figure out how to alter that recepie a little to make a dark beer (diff hops / honey / toasting the buckwheat more for a darker color)

Back