Need Help Modifying an Upright Freezer

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

I_B_Mongo

Reaction score
A few days ago I posted this in the DIY section, and didn't get any help. I also searched through previous threads, to no avail. Figued I'd give it another try here...
I just got a free upright freezer that I would like to turn into a fermentation chamber. I plan on using temp controller (still trying to pick which one-suggestions welcome) and wiring it for a heater too. I also plan on getting a SS conical to put in it.

My main problem is, the freezer has tubing running under the three shelves. This tubing is obviously connected to the compressor to keep the thing cold. I need to take out the shelves so I'll be able to get the conical in there. Taking the shelves out will be easy, but, I'll have to bend the tubing out of the way. I'm concerned because I know that if I kink the tubing the whole thing is shot.

Anybody have suggestions??? :confused:

If it were me, I would sell the freezer on Craigslist and find another used unit without the refrigeration lines under the shelves. When I was looking for a upright freezer I found that the cheapest units had this configuration. You should have no problem selling it with deer season coming. I don't imagine it would cost much more to get another freezer off Craigslist that would work for you without modification.

My 2 cents.

Good Luck

Another vote to sell it and find another cheap freezer of fridge. Kinking the lines will damage the functionality, and possibly even make it quit functioning alltogether.

I got a freezer like yours for free on craigslist and tried modifying it. I did manage to bend the lines without kinking, but they still stuck out, only leaving me room for two carboys (one above and one below). After a couple months, the tubes got a little kinked from moving carboys in and out, and it started having problems.

Later I found a fridge missing all the shelves and drawers for $25. After building a shelf and removing the door panel, it has room for 4 carboys, a case and a half of 22 oz bottles, and storage for my hops and yeast in the freezer compartment.

A few days ago I posted this in the DIY section, and didn't get any help. I also searched through previous threads, to no avail. Figued I'd give it another try here...
I just got a free upright freezer that I would like to turn into a fermentation chamber. I plan on using temp controller (still trying to pick which one-suggestions welcome) and wiring it for a heater too. I also plan on getting a SS conical to put in it.

My main problem is, the freezer has tubing running under the three shelves. This tubing is obviously connected to the compressor to keep the thing cold. I need to take out the shelves so I'll be able to get the conical in there. Taking the shelves out will be easy, but, I'll have to bend the tubing out of the way. I'm concerned because I know that if I kink the tubing the whole thing is shot.

Anybody have suggestions??? :confused:

I used to repair appliances. This could be very tricky. You can get a cheap tubing bender at an auto parts store. It really just depends on whether there is even enough line to do a gentle enough bend.

The tubing is probably work-hardened from the original bending. Your chances of making sharp enough bends without kinking are very small. Many kegger projects have failed at this point.

Thanks to all for the input, no matter how disappointing. I think I will take the advice and just try selling it on CL and trying to find one w/o the tubing under the shelves.

Back