Foamy End of Keg

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Rockweezy

Reaction score
I have a 4 tap keezer that where the CO2 is dispensed from a 4 valve manifold to each keg. The the first half of the keg generally pours really well leaving a nice head on the top of the pint. However, as the keg gets lower and lower my head grows and grows. Sometimes 2/3 of the pint is foam. Being as my other kegs are either carbonating or flowing nicely, I don't want to mess with my pressure. Is this common, or is there any way to stop this from happening?

I think you may have temperature stratification. The air at the top of the kegger is warmer. When the keg is full, the carb level will be based on the beer's average temp. When it's half full, it will be based on the lower temp because it is only present in the lower colder half of the airspace. This beer carbs a little higher. That's my guess.

How long is your serving line, what's your pressure, and what temp is the fridge running at?

How fast are you drinking the kegs? If you're going through them fairly quickly it could be CO2 stratification. The carbonation in a keg isn't the same at the top and the bottom until is reaches equilibrium. The liquid carbonates from the top down. If you're going through them within a few weeks of when you put them on CO2 it could just be that your CO2 rpessure is too high and you're drinking it too fast to notice it at the beginning.

My serving temp is 38 degrees and I thing the PSI is at about 10, but it is hard to read because it is cheap regulator. My serving lines are 8ft so I don't think it's that. I already dealt with that issue. As for drinking them quickly, with 4 kegs on tap they don't go that fast. The keg that it is happening on now was kegged and put on gas about 2 months ago.

Thanks

Those explanations really make sense. Even a few degrees make a difference, but on my keezer, my collar is 8 inches and the temp stratification was lik 8-10 deg. If I were you I would put a fan in there, even if its just temporary, just to see if there is a difference.

A lot of times we over carbonate because we judge the beer early/green. We drink a few after 7 days of carbonation and think oh man it needs a bit more. Really you cant judge it till after atleast 3 weeks. From now on I am carbing at 9-10 and make adjustments from there.

Back