keg pour head issues

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

android

Reaction score
my kegging system works great and i normally get a great head when i pour beers, it's all balanced and i can't complain, but it seems like if i go to pour someone else a pint, the head just doesn't develop after i've already pulled a pint. if i wait a while in between pours, it works out fine, but i'm just curious to know if this happens to anyone else and if there is a solution for it.

The first pour has more head because of the CO2 that came out of solution inside the tubing. This seems to happen because it's warmer on top of the kegs than the beer inside them. The second pour doesn't have this extra gas so you get less head. You might actually want to take a foot or two off of your bev line or try dropping the glass a few inches so the beer splashes down the center.

do you use a tower on your kegerator?

if so, your situation would lead me to infer that the reason you get a good head is the beer in the line is warmer, making it foamier. when you wait, the beer in the tower gets warmed up, leading to another headier pour.

you could shorten your lines a little, leading to more head on consecutive pours, but could lead to overly foamy first pours.

thanks fellas, i don't have a tower, just taps out the front of my fridge, so the lines are 100% refrigerated. i'll try dropping the glass down a bit and see if that improves things, or else i'll just stop serving other people beer!

Back