Fermentation Chamber

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

thantos

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
Hey All,
I am ready to move up to a fermentation chamber to help control ferm temps. So I am looking at an old fridge and buying a temp controller to keep it at around 60 degs F. or so. My main question is what happens to the freezer temp does it also go up comparative to the refrigerator? Or will it still be able to freeze things while the fridge is at 60?

What is a good temp controller?

What do I need to do to install it?

I use a 2 stage Ranco Temp. control I picked up from Morebeer. Expensive but allows me to plug in a cooling and a heating device all in one. I have a fermwrap for glass carboys that I can hang in my chest freezer if needed. Its not needed in the summer but come winter I know I'll use it.Your freezer won't keep items frozen. Only one electrical source for a fridge/freezer and it won't be running all the time. If you have a good seal, it could be a couple hours before the fridge/freezer kicks on again. Not good if you plan on keeping items in the freezer.

I use an old side-by-side fridge for my brewing and keep the fridge side at 68f and the freezer side ends up being normal fridge temp. Good for storing grain?

out of curiosity, what did you use to control your fermentation?

Just the usual, dark closet, fans, wet tee shirts with buckets of water. I have been brewing for about 15 years and think I have developed a few bad habits along the way! I am trying to produce really quality beer now and get rid of the bad habits, don't get me wrong my beers are good, even won a few awards here and there, just looking to take that next step.

Most refrigerators have two controls inside. Set your fridge temp to full tilt cold. The other is the Freezer temp. It basically decides what portion of the cold air from the freezer (the source of all cold) gets blown down to the fridge. You can adjust it full cold for the freezer...and then put a freezer thermometer in there and monitor it from time to time. The over ride thermometer will cut the power on and off to the whole shooting match to keep your set point in the fridge. The defrost timer can cause a headache from time to time... but the fridge usually just stays on...and motors through that within a short period of time.

Now that said...I don't think my freezer will stay frozen while I'm fermenting at 63-65 degrees in the fridge compartment... But all I keep up there are mugs, lemoncello, some Czech Vodka, Hops, and Quervo Gold.

I wrote to LG...telling them they need to design a fridge with two halves. No shelves in the doors...and digital temp display/control panel on the outside of the door. Able to ferment in the lower half with a set range of 32-70 degrees...and Chill in the top half with a range of 32-55 degrees... And preferably with a drip tray on the front...and knockouts for putting shanks through the door. Imagine...the perfect fridge... Bottom half fermentation locker...top half Kegerator!!! Maybe if everyone on the list wrote them...they'd understand how BIG the niche market of Homebrewers really is!!!

I wrote to LG...telling them they need to design a fridge with two halves. No shelves in the doors...and digital temp display/control panel on the outside of the door. Able to ferment in the lower half with a set range of 32-70 degrees...and Chill in the top half with a range of 32-55 degrees... And preferably with a drip tray on the front...and knockouts for putting shanks through the door. Imagine...the perfect fridge... Bottom half fermentation locker...top half Kegerator!!! Maybe if everyone on the list wrote them...they'd understand how BIG the niche market of Homebrewers really is!!!

I'm pretty sure LG considers 500,000 units a niche market, not 500. 'A' for effort though. :)

Back