starter airlock/cover

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

What do you use to cover your starters?

• airlock/bubbler

• foil

• something else

Results are only viewable after voting.

nutcase

Reaction score
This has undoubtedly been asked before but I couldn't find a poll. What do you use to cover your starters?

ya Ive been using foil too. I just keep reading and seeing so much info (outside of this forum) about airlocks and was thinking about giving it a try. I was curious what the percentage is around here- and thanks for that link flyangler:mug:

I used to use airlocks but just recently tried foil because of flyangler's thread. It seemed to work OK (it went like any other starter though...no different) but I still was uneasy about having a 'finished' starter just sitting there with no airlock. Once it's finished it doesn't really have much positive pressure. I'm still unsure of the improvement of foil over an airlock when you're not using a stirplate (I'll get/make a stirplate someday but I don't have one now). It just didn't seem to go any different than using an airlock.

basically the same thing as foil...but I picked 'something else' because I've been using sanitized saran wrap....(on loose of course...)

I have a foam stopper I put in before the foil, but sometimes I just use the foil.

Back