Label Creating Software

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

idleclamp

Reaction score
Hi everybody,

I'm new to the home brewing. As it turns out, I really like it. I've done my third batch and now it's time to make it look more professional. I've read many of the beer label threads and come up with some ideas.

My question is what software are guys using for creating the labels?

Their are many programs to use, Paint, word, etc... Me, I use Microsoft Publisher. Their are also online Label makers, one I know of is called Labeley. I only make a few for each batch that I give away. You can even hand draw something and scan it to your computer. Have fun with it.

I was hoping for more replies to this because I also want some sort of automatic label maker. What I want is something to get the data (like the name of the beer, the date it was brewed, the ABV, OG, FG IBU/SG etc.) from BeerSmith. I want to make one label for the keg and another for a tap handle that takes a business card size label.

I was hoping to get more responses too. I ended up getting a 30-day trial of Adobe Illustrator to complete the first batch of labels. I'm going to be changing some colors but the gist of it is what I want. It was a royal PITA to create at first. But once you figure out the what you want, sequence, and the buttons it's not so bad

I can't seem to post a pic from my phone, so I will later.

I would download Inkscape. It is a vector graphics editor similar to Illustrator. It may not be as robust, but it doesn't come with the equally robust price tag. In fact it's free.

And if you go to GrogTag's website, you can download some templates in .SVG format to get started. They are blank formats but it will get you the right size.

If you prefer a raster program similar to Photoshop, try GIMP. It is also an Open Source software project.

I would download Inkscape. It is a vector graphics editor similar to Illustrator. It may not be as robust, but it doesn't come with the equally robust price tag. In fact it's free.

And if you go to GrogTag's website, you can download some templates in .SVG format to get started. They are blank formats but it will get you the right size.

If you prefer a raster program similar to Photoshop, try GIMP. It is also an Open Source software project.

+1 to both Inkscape and GIMP.

Brew on :mug:

My pdf label file was too big and I don't wanna spend the time trying to downsize it. But here it is. As I said before, I used a 30-trial of Illustrator. I may play around with some of the suggestions. Earlier today I was complaining to a buddy about the difficulty in getting started on Illustrator. His response, "You know I use that program almost everyday in my job, right?":smack:

Beer label 1.jpg

beer label 2.jpg

I use Inkscape too for the graphics, but I'm looking for some way to automagically get the data from BeerSmith to a label template, say in Open Office Write.

I don't know anything about beersmith, but can it export an xml of your beer's info? If so Open Office could probably use a python script to pull all of that info out and dump it into a Write or Draw template.

If it can export any kind of document with your beer's info I'll see if I can make something work for you. I know my way around OOo and Python, just not making them work together. Which I should probably know how to do anyway.

Highly recommend Inkscape if you're looking to create vector style labels. It is free. It is easy. There are also a million and a half tutorials online.

How much of a learning curve do I need to work through to get results like above?

Honestly if you are decent with working in computers in general there isn't much of one. They are basic colors/textures layered over each other.

Whenever I run into a technique/process I don't know how to accomplish, I google it or watch how on YouTube and get it done. After doing that to learn basics/new things you'll be able to that in no time.

I can't comment on the other programs though because I have never used them and am happy with what I can do with GIMP.

I use Inkscape - because it's free and is vector based so you can scale easily. It also happens to be powerful.

Is it possible to go through first steps to do this now that I have downloaded it? Size of label. etc

I am actually currently writing a front page article on designing beer labels which will include that information.

I start with a blank background size of 3000x1875 pixels I believe (I'll need to double check later to verify). When I then scale this to a template I use to print 4 labels per page, it gives you a label size of 5" x 3 1/8" which looks nice on both long neck and short neck bottles with good detail/resolution.

Basically do about 600 pixels per inch that you want. I will include details of printing 4 per sheet and getting that to the right size in the article.

The key to using software like this is to use layers for everything. Then if you mess something up you only had to edit that one layer and not re start. As you learn the software it will also help you use different layering techniques to create depth and texture.

I've gotten a little better with Illustrator. I ended up buying a 1-month subscription and finished a few more labels. I upped my game with the last one. Thoughts?

Speckled Bovine Ale.jpg

Millineum Falcon IPA.jpg

Predatory Alpha.jpg

Paul Revere Pale Ale.jpg

My pdf label file was too big and I don't wanna spend the time trying to downsize it. But here it is. As I said before, I used a 30-trial of Illustrator. I may play around with some of the suggestions. Earlier today I was complaining to a buddy about the difficulty in getting started on Illustrator. His response, "You know I use that program almost everyday in my job, right?":smack:

Has Illustrator got easier since you've been using it? I'm wanting to start making my own but not very graphic designer advanced at all

Back