Eat it beersmith, eat it all

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Electrake

Reaction score
Well despite 2 hours of clicking around, I can't fix this... beersmith continuously asks for my registration key, and despite the fact i know where all of my old files are, it crashes every time i attempt to open my equipment profile.

What's the next best software?

It was more of an immediate upset, I'm not too torn up about the recipes. I just didn't want to remake my equipment profile :D

I think I'll try that though, there was one recipe I want to keep... I still have the file, just a pain in the ass opening it

Don't give up before contacting them. IMO, it is one of the best. Look around, for $18 - $20 you could download a whole new copy.

A lot of people use Brewers Friend. Though I have not looked at it.

when you do email, make sure to include the thread title as your subject line...I've heard it will expedite your customer service experience

I'm going to keep using it, rest assured, just sucks when youu can't trust something so necessary.

Well despite 2 hours of clicking around, I can't fix this...

+1 on emailing for more detailed advice.

Some thoughts:

Is IE installed on your computer? This is the default browser BeerSmith looks for. I've had trouble similar to yours when I tried to just use Chrome.

Is the key you have for BS1 or BS2? Kinda obvious, I know, but just checking.

Are the file paths the same as BeerSmith defaults? The folder ...Documents/BeerSmith2 needs to be in that spot, on the same partition. Using other partitions or cloud storage makes BeerSmith unstable.

If you're using Linux OS, there are some versions that don't play well with BeerSmith, but can be patched.

If you're using MacOS, errors occur when BeerSmith is running while the OS is updating. It's typically a permissions error that says another copy of BS is running. Crashing *might* happen, but it's not the norm.

FWIW I'm using Brewtarget as back up to beer smith...its a free open source product and in some regards slightly better then BeerSmith and not so much in others.
Nice to have a back-up anyway regardless of opinions either way on the above.

BTW... I bought the mobile app for my phone. It lacks in calcs department; like pitch rate and brew-house efficiency. Lame

BTW... I bought the mobile app for my phone. It lacks in calcs department; like pitch rate and brew-house efficiency. Lame

It has always been a "Lite" version. He has said he is intending to make it more fully functional.

If I am right I think he said that he is in the process of a total rework/update that will take the now somewhat dated software and make it more to current software standards. At least in "style". Making it more user friendly.

I left Beersmith long ago for BrewersFriend. Being cloud based web app i can access it on any device, phone anywhere i have internet without paying ****ing extra money for an app...

You can use BrewersFriend for free for a few cloud recipes, it really is nice.

Back