Brett Beer Fuzzy Baby Schmucks - Peach Brett Golden Strong

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Remmy

Drink First, Ask Questions Later
Reaction score
Recipe Type
All Grain
Yeast
Wyeast 5112; Wyeast 1214 Belgian Abbey 1
Yeast Starter
No
Batch Size (Gallons)
Original Gravity
Final Gravity
Boiling Time (Minutes)
IBU
Color
Primary Fermentation (# of Days & Temp)
15 weeks @ 71F
Secondary Fermentation (# of Days & Temp)
n/a
Tasting Notes
Big peach nose & flavor, with big Brett nose.
HOME BREW RECIPE:
Title: Fuzzy Baby Schmucks - Sour Golden Strong
Author: Remmy

Brew Method: All Grain
Style Name: Belgian Golden Strong Ale
Boil Time: 120 min
Batch Size: 5.5 gallons (fermentor volume)
Boil Size: 8 gallons
Boil Gravity: 1.056
Efficiency: 73% (brew house)

STATS:
Original Gravity: 1.082
Final Gravity: 1.006
ABV (alternate): 10.57%
IBU (tinseth): 25.13
SRM (morey): 4.61

FERMENTABLES:
12 lb - Belgian - Pilsner (76.8%)
1 lb - German - Wheat Malt (6.4%)
1 lb - German - Munich Light (6.4%)
0.5 lb - Dry Malt Extract - Extra Light (3.2%)
18 oz - Cane Sugar (7.2%)

HOPS:
1 oz - East Kent Goldings, Type: Pellet, AA: 7.2, Use: Boil for 90 min, IBU: 25.13

MASH GUIDELINES:
1) Infusion, Temp: 150 F, Time: 90 min, Amount: 4.9 gal
2) Sparge, Temp: 185 F, Time: 20 min, Amount: 4.5 gal
Starting Mash Thickness: 1.4 qt/lb

ADDITIONAL INGREDIENTS:
Racked beer onto 4 lbs. of peaches for 2.5 weeks.

YEAST:
Wyeast - Belgian Ale 1214
Starter: No
Form: Liquid
Attenuation (avg): 75%
Flocculation: Med-Low
Optimum Temp: 68 - 78 F
Fermentation Temp: 75 F
Pitch Rate: 0.35 (M cells / ml / deg P)
Additional Yeast: Wyeast 5112 Brettanomyces bruxellensis

NOTES:
This beer has a big Brett nose and tastes really dry. It really has a big peach flavor and the beer itself has a nice color after being racked onto peaches.

Hey Remmy, this looks delicous.. Any way for an extract conversion for 5.5 gallons...?

Couple of questions becasue I really want to brew this.
-It says you racked onto the peaches for 2.5 weeks, but fermented in primary for 15 weeks. If there's no secondary, what is the process for this? Chicken or the egg.....
-When did you pitch the Wyeast 5112?

Couple of questions becasue I really want to brew this.
-It says you racked onto the peaches for 2.5 weeks, but fermented in primary for 15 weeks. If there's no secondary, what is the process for this? Chicken or the egg.....
-When did you pitch the Wyeast 5112?

I never secondaried this beer. I added peaches and bottled from the primary. After about 3 months or 12 weeks, I added peaches. The total time this beer spent in the primary was 15 weeks.

Any chance this started life as a 668 clone (sans Brett and peaches of course)? If so, was it close? Sorry if this is a little OT.

Didn't know there was a 668 clone. I don't recall if it tasted close before I added the peaches.

I haven't found one yet but with the NEBCO reference and the base style being the same I figured I'd ask. I plan on brewing it next weekend so I'll post a new thread if things go well.

When was the wyeast5112 added?this sounds amazing

The wort was racks onto a Wyeast 5112 cake immediately after brewing. The Abbey yeast was pitched at the same time.

Ok thank you, this may be a dumb question, but I havent studied about wyeast5112, is brett a bug and does it make equipment useful to other sours and beers with brett? Prob a dumb question but I lack knowledge on this subject

Ok thank you, this may be a dumb question, but I havent studied about wyeast5112, is brett a bug and does it make equipment useful to other sours and beers with brett? Prob a dumb question but I lack knowledge on this subject

Wild yeast. I use a dedicated set of equipment for wild yeast and bugs.

Reviving this thread and HOPING for an answer so I can brew this..Is the .5lb DME added to the boil? Also, since you had a Brett cake would it be beneficial for me to make a starter, 1-1.5 liters? Lastly, my keezer is currently my ferm chamber and I can't go without beer for 15 weeks! Can I do ~2 weeks at 71 with temp control then pull it out and let it sit in my basement (haven't checked temp down there yet, we just moved in 2 days ago. I'm guessing its around 70-75F) for the rest of the 15 weeks? Thanks, I can't wait to get this batch going!

Back