Sightglass installation

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JayMac

Reaction score
Hi guys,

I'm ordering parts to make up my sight glass and I was just firming up a few things.

If anyone has made their own, how did you attach your acrylic/polycarbonate tubing? Can you force thread the tubing, or do you have to use a lathe?

If it requires a lathe, I'll have to order a SS compression to male fitting that I can attach to the pipe and screw into my SS tee (I'm doing a thermometer/sight glass combo).

I want to avoid doing this if I can, because it will raise the level that the sightglass can measure (compression fitting will raise the tube and hide about a 1/2" or more).

I guess alternatively, I could put the tee sideways, and use a 90 degree elbow SS compression to male fitting, as that would give me allow me to use the sight glass to its full potential. However, this may look lousy and might take up too much space.

Let me know what you think. Thanks in advance for your input!
Jay

I have used 3/8" ID polycarbonate over a 3/8" stainless hosebarb. works well.

I heated the polycarbonate before pressing into the barb and it somewhat melted into shape adhering itself tightly to the "steps" of the barb

I have used 3/8" ID polycarbonate over a 3/8" stainless hosebarb. works well.

I heated the polycarbonate before pressing into the barb and it somewhat melted into shape adhering itself tightly to the "steps" of the barb

Interesting! might give that a try. I wish I could find a 'stub' barb, so that I wouldn't lose height for the sight glass (I believe that minimum reading your sight glass can show is that tip of the barb)

I made mine with borosilicate glass and all 1/2" fittings. Use o-rings under the compression nuts and it seals up nice. I also place a thin o-ring between the end of the glass tube and the fitting inside.

I made mine with borosilicate glass and all 1/2" fittings. Use o-rings under the compression nuts and it seals up nice. I also place a thin o-ring between the end of the glass tube and the fitting inside.

I really only have access to 1/2" silicone gaskets.. not even O-rings. I've been trying so hard to find a retailer in Canada who has a decent selection of heat proof o-rings!

If I can't find any, would you say that the compression fitting method won't work(leak)? If so, I might need to try the melting method proposed above :(

I really only have access to 1/2" silicone gaskets.. not even O-rings. I've been trying so hard to find a retailer in Canada who has a decent selection of heat proof o-rings!

If I can't find any, would you say that the compression fitting method won't work(leak)? If so, I might need to try the melting method proposed above :(

I have some 'spare' 1/2" ID silicone o-rings if you need them. PM me if you need some.

I would, but I'm in Canada, so the additional shipping and duty charges would make it more expensive than if I made it myself

Planning a trip to New Jersey any time soon. I got one from BobbyM it was easy peasy to install. He has done all the research and development.

His website has an installation video that may be of some help to you.

I would, but I'm in Canada, so the additional shipping and duty charges would make it more expensive than if I made it myself

i ended up having to buy a 6ft length of the polycarbonate.. in the end still cheaper as i was able to make 3x sightglasses w/ it

Latest posts

Back