Must tries at the GABF

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Parker36

Reaction score
Anybody have some must tries as far as breweries go at the GABF? Maybe something only locally known, but they make great stuff or any brewery specializing in Belgian style

Depends on where you are and what you can already get.
I'll play though.

New Glarus - Raspberry Tart and what ever unplugged beers they are offering.
Jolly Pumpkin - La Roja
For me NB - La Folie, Eric's Ale

So far on my list:
Green Flash Brewing Co.
Lagunitas Brewing Co.
Stone Brewing Co.
Allagash Brewing Company
Rogue Ales
Titletown Brewing Company
Brewery Ommegang

and for all you non-coloradans out there: if Avery isn't on your list, it should be

Parker - Unfortunately I will not be at the GABF but I would suggest trying Brugge Brasserie from Indiana if you like belgian style beers. They are supposed to be at the GABF and have won awards there before.

I'll be looking to try Pliny the Elder, since you can't get it here.

Also, again for non-CO residents, make sure to stop by O'Dell brewing. Both the Imperial Pilsener and ESR (Extra-special red) are worth a try, along with almost anything they bring off their 5-barrel pilot system.

I see that Trinity Brewing is also scheduled to be there. They're new, but from their website, they look to be putting together some fairly impressive offerings. I'll be checking them out.

I'll be looking to try Pliny the Elder, since you can't get it here.

Also, again for non-CO residents, make sure to stop by O'Dell brewing. Both the Imperial Pilsener and ESR (Extra-special red) are worth a try, along with almost anything they bring off their 5-barrel pilot system.

I see that Trinity Brewing is also scheduled to be there. They're new, but from their website, they look to be putting together some fairly impressive offerings. I'll be checking them out.

I've been buying Pliny the Elder from Lukas Liquors pretty regularly. They also carry Blind Pig and Damnation.

I'll be looking to try Trinity. I've heard some good things about their brews on Beer Advocate.

For me it'll be:
Bear Republic
Ballast Point
Russian River (even though CO has started carrying them)
Lagunitas
The Bruery
Terrapin
Three Floyds
Surly
and quite a few others

New Glarus - Belgian Red and Rasberry Tart +1
Russian River +1
Brewery Ommegang +1
GreenFlash +1
Full Sail +1
Stone +1
Sam Adams (utopia)
Dog Fish Head
Lagunitas Brewing Co. +1
Lost Abbey if their there
Rogue Ales +1

I'm gunna be trashed I just know it.

I've been buying Pliny the Elder from Lukas Liquors pretty regularly. They also carry Blind Pig and Damnation.

Well slap me silly! I'll have to take a look. I live close to Tipsy's, so if there's a CO distributor with Pliny, I bet I can get it there.

I hope Stone brings Oaked Double Bastard to the GABF. The double is nice, but I haven't had a chance to try the oaked version yet. I'm also hoping O'Dell brings some of the woodcut, which I'm really dissapointed to have missed out on:

On August 18 , 2008 Odell Brewing Company of Fort Collins, Colorado will release its Woodcut No. 1, the first in its Woodcut series of barrel-aged beers. In the fall of 2007, Odell Brewing received its first shipment of oak barrels from Canton Cooperage in Kentucky. The barrels, cut from new American oak, were specifically crafted with a medium toast to give the beer added flavor and depth.

Woodcut No.1 was crafted with select hops and malted barley on Odell Brewing’s five barrel brewing system. After fermentation, the beer was chilled and then transferred to the oak barrels for aging. As the beer matures, the wood imparts many complex flavors and aromas. Hints of vanilla, almonds and dried fruits compliment the caramel malt sweetness of this oak-aged ale.

”The Woodcut project has been a great opportunity for our brewers to broaden their brewing horizons as well as offer an intriguing and distinctive beer to our customers,” said Doug Odell, brewmaster and brewery founder.
The brewery also invested in new equipment to hand bottle the oak-aged ale into 750 ml cork finish bottles. Brewers evaluated the various barrel blends, carefully selecting the blend to bottle. Woodcut No. 1 will be bottle conditioned allowing the beer to naturally carbonate. Each bottle will be signed and numbered by the brewer.

Odell Brewing will release only approximately 120 cases before retiring the label. Woodcut No. 1 Oak Aged Ale will be available at a suggested retail price of $24.99 per bottle. The next offering in the Woodcut series will be a Golden ale.

I better sign up for the Golden ale.

I've got a bottle of woodcut in my fridge, waiting for the right occasion to open a $25 bottle of beer...

Lost Abbey was there last year.
New Glarrus runs out of beer very fast, hit them first, as well as Dogfish Head.

I had a couple beers from Bugge Brasserie last year, amazing trippel and dubbels, wood aged IIRC, great flavors.

You can get Pliny in Boulder...

I'm a huge Ommegang fan. I also tried Bear Republic at a beer festival here in Boston and fell in love with the Racer 5. But, I have to put a plug in for my own beer (sorry...). I've been working at Samuel Adams for about a year now and am one of the three finalists in the employee LongShot competition. So, I'll be out there pouring my beer side by side with two of my co-workers. They're calling my beer an "Amber hybrid". It's essentially a California Common that we used a little too much hops in and finished with mesquite honey. It turned out really interesting. Definitely a session beer, but it's got a decent hops kick in the front, but finishes with the sweetness from the honey. Not at all what I expected, but I was pleasantly surprised by the result.

So, please come out to the Samuel Adams LongShot booth to let me know what you think of it.

This year I'm going in with a game plan. Maps, notes, checklists - the whole shebang

Maybe try some of this new Miller Lite stuff.

I have heard that it is actually triple hopped now. Have not tried it though just been hearing good things.:D

Sorry I had nothing constructive to ad I'm just bored:eek:

Maybe try some of this new Miller Lite stuff.

I have heard that it is actually triple hopped now. Have not tried it though just been hearing good things.:D

Sorry I had nothing constructive to ad I'm just bored:eek:

You might laugh but the only time I've tried the budweiser american ale was at GABF. Their booth was close by during the awards

You might laugh but the only time I've tried the budweiser american ale was at GABF. Their booth was close by during the awards

Haha, same here actually. There was that long corner to turn and I refused to go more than 15 steps without beer.

Latest posts

Back