Korean BBQ!!!!

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Revvy

Post Hoc Ergo Propter Hoc
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
I have become enamored with the following Korean Style BBQ marinade.

So far;

1) I have used it to marinade steaks for the grill.

2) Last night I added it to a pound of hamburger (with a couple of fistful of panko breadcrumbs to absorb the excess liquid) and tonight I just grilled up a bunch of awesome burgers (that went well with Dead Guy.)

3) And memorial day weekend I tripled the recipe, marinated a huge porkloin in it and roasted that to spicy perfection.

I haven't tried this with chicken yet, but believe you me, I will...

This recipe is for a pound of meat, so you need to up it per pound...But Don't up the amount of sambal oelek/Thai chile paste exponentially...It will kill you!:D

When I did the pork loin it was over 3 pounds, so I tripled the recipe including the chili paste... big mistake. Next time I'll simply double it for every 4 pound of meat I'm marianting...

Here it is...

2 tablespoons brown sugar
2 tablespoons soy sauce
2 tablespoons Mirin rice wine, white wine, or sake (optional)
1 1/2 tablespoons sambal oelek or Thai chile paste
1 teaspoon minced peeled fresh ginger
1 teaspoon dark sesame oil
1/2 teaspoon crushed red pepper
3 garlic cloves, minced
(optional) 1/2 tsp fish sauce if you have it.

That's it...Just put it into a baggy and dump in your meat and let sit overnight...If you are mixing it into hamburger you will need to dump some sort of bread crumd/stale bread to help absorb the liquid into the meat.

Enjoy

:mug:

I have a Korean BBQ recipe that is similar, but not as spicy that uses whiskey as an ingredient. Good stuff.

Yours looks pretty damn good as well.

I have to try this never had it with Malaysian and Thia peppers. Korean BBQ uses gochu chong (http://www.streeteatstv.com/index.php?q=gallery&g2_itemId=1360). This is different from that but I can wait to try it with the new peppers.

Thanks for the recipe !

That looks interesting...Enjoy the recipe.

I have a Korean BBQ recipe that is similar, but not as spicy that uses whiskey as an ingredient. Good stuff.

Yours looks pretty damn good as well.

Post yours...I love this stuff...

I just gobbled 4 hamburgers...they weren't that big, but still...:I'll pay for it in the morning (if you get my drift).

olllllo is hongree.

If you like spicy..Oh man this is great...

Go grab yourself a hunka meat and start mixing...

I'm thinking a couple drops of liquid smoke in it next time, if I'm oven roasting something to give it that smoky edge...like when you open the door of a korean BBQ joint and get hit in the face with the smoky sweet pepper heat.

Here is an image (not mine):

239ffdbc6973b032_m.jpg

For a pretty authentic bulgogi dish, slice the meat very thin before marinating. Cook it over a searing grill on a perforated surface (I've seen grill woks that would work well). Here's a picture of a fairly traditional bulgogi setup (sorry - this is the best that Google could provide).

bulgogi.jpg

That sounds very close to my recipe. Try it on Korean style ribs, get them cut as thin as possible (less than 1/4"). And cook them on a very hot grill, just takes a moment on each side and they are great!!

That sounds very close to my recipe. Try it on Korean style ribs, get them cut as thin as possible (less than 1/4"). And cook them on a very hot grill, just takes a moment on each side and they are great!!

Post your variation...I'm interested in messing around with it...

Oh...I paid for the 4 hamburgers this morning....*OWIE* :D

this is so delicious everyone begs me to make them all the time. i know the sprite sounds weird but it breaks down the ribs and makes them really tender without altering the taste.

enjoy!

Marinade:

1/2 cup soy sauce
1 Korean pear or Asian pear, grated with juices
2 tablespoons finely chopped garlic
1/2 small white onion, grated or sliced
1 tablespoon grated fresh ginger
2 tablespoons light brown sugar
1 tablespoon honey
2 tablespoons sesame seeds, toasted
2 tablespoons toasted sesame oil
1 tablespoon ground red pepper
1/4 teaspoon ground black pepper
2 green onions, thinly sliced
1 (20-ounce) bottle lemon-lime soda, optional (recommended: Sprite or 7-Up)

4 pounds short ribs

Whisk together all the marinade ingredients in a large baking dish. Add the ribs and turn to coat. Cover and refrigerate at least overnight; it is best if marinated for a few days.
Heat grill to high. Remove short ribs from marinade and grill short ribs until slightly charred and tender and cooked to desired degree of doneness.

this is so delicious everyone begs me to make them all the time. i know the sprite sounds weird but it breaks down the ribs and makes them really tender without altering the taste.

enjoy!

Marinade:

1/2 cup soy sauce
1 Korean pear or Asian pear, grated with juices
2 tablespoons finely chopped garlic
1/2 small white onion, grated or sliced
1 tablespoon grated fresh ginger
2 tablespoons light brown sugar
1 tablespoon honey
2 tablespoons sesame seeds, toasted
2 tablespoons toasted sesame oil
1 tablespoon ground red pepper
1/4 teaspoon ground black pepper
2 green onions, thinly sliced
1 (20-ounce) bottle lemon-lime soda, optional (recommended: Sprite or 7-Up)

4 pounds short ribs

Whisk together all the marinade ingredients in a large baking dish. Add the ribs and turn to coat. Cover and refrigerate at least overnight; it is best if marinated for a few days.
Heat grill to high. Remove short ribs from marinade and grill short ribs until slightly charred and tender and cooked to desired degree of doneness.

Yum...that sounds great!!!

I can't wait to try it.

oh man. now i'm hungry for some bulgogi.... or bibimbap.....

too bad there are no korean restaurants around here. They had pre-packaged marinated bulgogi at costco one time and it was good, but they don't carry it anymore. Maybe I'll make the marinade tonight and grill tomorrow!

oh man. now i'm hungry for some bulgogi.... or bibimbap.....

too bad there are no korean restaurants around here. They had pre-packaged marinated bulgogi at costco one time and it was good, but they don't carry it anymore. Maybe I'll make the marinade tonight and grill tomorrow!

Now if only I could find a great Vietnamese Pho recipe, none of the online ones I've found are anything like the kind a Vietnamese Joints.

Damn, you ****ers! I *love* me some Korean BBQ...

There's also a phenomenal Vietnamese restaurant around here that I need to get back to (Hung from Top Chef, it's his family's restaurant).

Now if only I could find a great Vietnamese Pho recipe, none of the online ones I've found are anything like the kind a Vietnamese Joints.

I've never made pho before but my vietnamese friends say that the key to making great pho is to simmer it for a loooooooong time.

Back