Whats to do in eastern Va? Eastern Va Brewers speak up

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

zac

Thread Killer
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
I have an upcoming trip in June that will allow me a free day after noon on June 5th. and all day June 6th. I'll be in Farmville Va, but am planning a roadtrip to either Richmond or Norfolk area. Anybody got suggestions? Any good LHBS to swing by? Any microbrews to check out?

I rarely get a day off & I'd hate to waste it. Feel free to PM if you have specific ideas.

thanks in advance!!!

Zac

A few brewery possibilities include Starr Hill (Charlottesville area), Williamsburg Alewerks (Williamsburg), St. Georges (Hampton), and possibly Old Dominion (DC area). I'm sure I'm missing a couple. There are also a lot of good taphouses in those areas. The big LHBS is probably Homebrewusa in Norfolk. If you're in Williamsburg, drop us a PM and we'd be happy to assist with anything.

The Weekend Brewer Homebrew shop is in Chester outside of richmond. Richmond has Richbrau and Legend Brewing Co. which are both brewpubs and a very short distance from one another. Charlottesville has Star Hill as stated but I'm not sure on whether they're serving on site now, they got a distribution deal with Budweiser and heard they have been gearing up to distribute nationally. Calhoun's (sp?) is a little brewpub in Harrisonburg that's not too far (also, check out the little grill in harrisonburg, neat little restaurant if you go there). Oh, and the best bar in Richmond for beer is the downtown Capitol Ale House, tons of good beer and great food.

A lot of this has been mentioned already, but Blue Mountain, Starr Hill, and South Street are three breweries in the Charlottesville area. Richmond has Legend and Richbrau breweries. The local brew club meets at Legend and I prefer their beers.

Capital Ale House has an incredible lineup of beers on tap and in bottle. There have 3 locations. If you're gonna hit Richmond's breweries you can walk from Richbrau to the downtown location. If you're coming in on I-64 there's one in Innsbruck before you get to Richmond. If you're coming in on Rt. 60 or 360 there's one in Midlothian before you get to Richmond.

Richmond seems more accessible than Norfolk. I was in Richmond a few weeks back. Never made it to Weekend Brewer, but heard good things from my brew-club on that LHBS. If you are looking for local beer stores (i.e. selling commercial beers), I would recommend Corks & Kegs; and would recommend against Grapes & Barley. Both can be found via a Google search. Corks & Kegs had a great selection; the most unique thing I could find at a largely empty Grapes & Barley was Sam Adams Pale Ale.

If you make it as far as Va Beach, head to Homebrew USA as the LHBS. If you make it to Williamsburg, head to the Green Leafe in New Town for what should be a VERY NICE tap selection they have now along with an expansion expected in early May; also with good pub food. Plus your SWMBO won't mind shopping in New Town. Our brew club meets there monthly, but not on the times you will be there, unfortunately.

Leghorn, no SWMBO on this trip. I'm "teaching" a class at Longwood, and have a day and a half in beteween sessions.

Now I'm torn between the trip to Richmond & the trip to Norfolk/W'burg. Weekend Brewer has a nice selection, but it seems like homebrewusa has more stuff, but the website is not perculating very well. Seems like both destinations have choices of places to get good local brews.

I guess I *could* go to richmond one night & head to W'burg the next day!

I'm not really on a hard core shopping trip for ingredients, I've got enough stockpiled for a while, I'm really looking for acessories...a new burner, maybe a new 15 gal pot, tubing, BOTTLES!!!!, etc etc.
I plan to start kegging & stepping up to 10 gal batches in the fall sometime, but until then its still full speed into bottling mode.

Thanks folks, I really appreciate it. Nate, PM forthcoming closer to my travel date.

zac

DC area is the best. They a lot of European style bars. I used to live there for 7 months and except the weather I loved everything

Another question:
Does either Legend or Richbrau have a motel near them? I'm thinking of hitting a good micro house on the night of the 5th, moteling up & then busting weekend brewer wide open on the 6th, then returing to farmville.
I'd welcome a tour guide for Richmond, been there alot, but mostly passing through. If anybosy is up for some suds on June 5th, lemme know.

Thanks,
Zac

There's no cheap motels around richbrau, it's in shockoe bottom by some higher end hotels. It's not a far drive in though from a little further out of town, richmond's a small city. There's not much over by Legend but there's more likely to be a motel over there.

OK, my trip is next week & no volunteers to give me the tour of richmond? Legend the 5th & weekend brewer on the 6th.

I'll be in town the 5th & staying over & leaving late the 6th of June. I actually found a few of Legends brews at my local beer store, so I'm gonna start working my way through them tonight.

zac

Back